Testing

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Mommie26
User

Testing

Postby Mommie26 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:01 am

This is my first year of homeschooling and I went to order my CAT test and seen that they were no longer offering it until the Fall :? I did'nt start school with my daughter until the end of September..so I am I ok to wait and test her in September? and I reside in NC

Mommie26
User

Postby Mommie26 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:10 am

well i just looked on the seton website and you can order this test anytime from there..so i think i will just do that..since i wanted to go ahead and test her before starting 2nd grade..anyone know why the thurbers site has a cut off date to order your testing materials?

KristaBelk
User

Is testing required in your state or in general?

Postby KristaBelk » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Is testing required in your state or in general? Or is this by choice? My dauther is 1-1/2 but I am doing some prep work. I only have her so far.

--Krista.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Testing

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:11 pm

Mommie26 wrote:This is my first year of homeschooling and I went to order my CAT test and seen that they were no longer offering it until the Fall :? I did'nt start school with my daughter until the end of September..so I am I ok to wait and test her in September? and I reside in NC

Yes, you're fine. You just have to test some time during the year.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

elliemaejune
User

Re: Is testing required in your state or in general?

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:12 pm

KristaBelk wrote:Is testing required in your state or in general? Or is this by choice? My dauther is 1-1/2 but I am doing some prep work. I only have her so far.

--Krista.

In NC, parents are supposed to test some time during the year and keep the results on file for one year. They don't have to show the results to anyone unless they are specifically asked to do so.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:09 pm

You don't have to test until 7 yrs old. That is when the mandatory school age begins. You don't have to register your school with the state until then either. For testing...as long as you test sometime during the year but you don't have to do your first test until you have completed your first year. I wouldn't stress to much over it, I haven't ever been asked to show mine to anyone. Plus there are only around five employees at the NCDNPE so it is not likely that they are going to show up at your door asking to see it. All those employees are in Raleigh too so unless you are close to Raleigh chances will be slim to none that anything will ever happen. OH, and you don't have to send them in with the gray card asking you to voluntarily send them in either. I just checked the no box and sent the card back in. I figured if they really wanted to see my results that they could use the gas to come to my house instead of me spending my money on gas and postage. They never showed up or even contacted me. Hope your year goes well!

Return to “Homeschool Law”