Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alpha Phonics & Bob Books or The Reading Lesson?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kansasgirl
User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Alpha Phonics & Bob Books or The Reading Lesson? Reply with quote

My son will start half day kindergarten in the fall. I want to start teaching him how to read this summer. I am looking at using Alpha Phonics along with Bob Books or The Reading Lesson. Does anyone here have any experience with either of these programs?

Thanks!
EllenP
User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -- I used "Alpha Phonics" with two of our children (the first one learned in school) and they are both excellent readers (now 18 and 14 yrs.). It was easy, once it was the right timing for the child -- in other words, when they were developmentally ready to learn phonics (4 yrs. for my daughter, about 7 yrs. for my son) it sailed along.

I don't remember if I used any/many of the Bob books, but I did use similar readers, Ladybird and Dr. Seuss, among others. I think Alpha Phonics is really one of the best deals out there because it's straightforward and delivers what it promises.

Once your child gets the basics down, it will be a matter of you choosing with which books you want for him to continue learning to read.

I'm not familiar with the other book you mentioned, but I can vouch for Alpha Phonics' quality!

EllenP
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Alpha Phonics & Bob Books or The Reading Lesson? Reply with quote

We used Bob Books with my youngest siblings, which seemed to go pretty well. They enjoyed reading through each set. We also used some Dr. Seuss, but that's more for fun than actual learning, since the focus of Dr. Seuss is to give you a basic vocabulary of a few hundred "sight" words, not to teach you phonics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: