Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reccomend a phonics program, please.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
memmerrill
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thumbs up for Alpha Phonics. We like it better than Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons because Alpha Phonics has no pictures. With the pictures in 100 Easy Lessons, my daughter was distracted & just wanted to tell stories about the pictures rather than read any words. Alpha Phonics is the best bet for us & is worth looking in to. Cool
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cover the pictures in 100 Easy Lessons until my son has read the story. He loves the suspense. And, he gets to analyze the picture to determine what point in the story it depicts or if it even matches, in his opinion. Works for us!
Lorelei Sieja
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Sight Words can be good Reply with quote

The best reading program is the one that works. Not all children can learn to read using the phonics method. If your child isn't learning using phonics, then try the sight-word approach. That's the benefit of homeschooling. We can vary our teaching methods to meet the needs of the child!

Phonics is currently VERY popular. But it isn't the only way.

"How to teach your Baby to read" by Glenn Doman and Janet Doman is a sight-word first approach to reading. It teaches a large vocabulary of sight words first, the child learns to read an entire book, and then you go back to teach phonics. It really does very well with a lot of children. This book has been sold for half a century. He has taught brain-injured babies to read, using this method. I used it with my firstborn.

I've heard that Sing, Spell, Read, and Write uses both sight word and phonics approaches. It's been a while since I did SSRW, so I don't really remember that part. But I did enjoy using that with my younger two girls.

Good luck, and best wishes for you and your child!

Lorelei
ps: here's the catalog to all the books by Glenn Doman, including kits to use with his reading book, although you can make the flash cards yourself.
http://www.iahp.org/fileadmin/PDFs/GRPcatalog.pdf
brucedeitrickprice
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reading/Phonics/The Danger of Sight Words Reply with quote

I have two important items about reading/phonics.

On my site http://www.improve-Education.org, I have a page called "42: Reading Resources," which explains what happened to reading and lists a half-dozen phonics programs.

I'm just published an article (on another site) titled: NINE READING EXPERTS EXPLAIN THE SAD STATE OF READING. This is an outstanding article, and I hope everyone will read it. I asked nine of the leading people to give a summary of the reading situation today: http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/123851

Bruce Deitrick Price

PS If this info is not in the right place, please move it.
heidijo
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons here. I taught all 4 of my children with it. I did NOT do the writing instruction though. We just did the reading instruction with the pictures.

Don't think that just because it is $20 that it is not as helpful as the $200 programs. Sometimes simple is better...
roma
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reccomend a phonics program, please. Reply with quote

gellegbs wrote:
My 7 year old son is having a hard time reading. The extent of his knowledge of words is letter sounds, and maybe about 20 sight words. He has a really hard time sounding out words, especially with consonant blends. Any advice would be helpful. I've tried flash cards of blends and reading to him pointing out or sounding out certain words (the, and, as, etc.) He still has a hard time.

I am a public and home school tutor, and find that (nine times out of ten) if children apparently know all the phonic sounds, but are having trouble sounding out the words it is because they are enunciating the sounds incorrectly.

For that reason I have posted three free videos on line to help parent/ educators with that problem. One can hear them for free at this link: http://www.read-phonics.com/free-phonics-sounds-video.html
lector1
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: A vote for Alpha-Phonics Reply with quote

I love using the Alpha-Phonics Reading program for my three children. My eleven year old twins are now both avid readers, even though they each learned to read at different ages. My five year old son is now learning to read through Alpha -Phonics and is doing well. Along with the Alpha-Phonics, we incorporated the McGuffey Readers and the Classic Curriculum Reading and Writing workbooks.

This has been especially nice since it has simplified my teaching and because it also allows my children to work independently for most of their study time.
romacox
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with children who are struggling with their ability to read. Nine times out of ten, if they know their phonic sounds, but are having trouble blending them to from words it is because:

They are pronouncing some of the sounds incorrectly. For example: d is often pronounced as du. So when they try do decode words like daddy they say, "du-a-du-y. This does not effect all children, but it does many. By simply correcting the sounds they are enunciating incorrectly most take off reading rapidly.

Here is a free video that explains more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dlCPVeWtIk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: