Troubled with socialization of homeschooled students

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kmccarth
User

Troubled with socialization of homeschooled students

Postby kmccarth » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:45 am

As the subject states, I attended a public school but have encounter many numerous home schooled individuals. I am worried that homeschoolers (although above-average intelligence, generally) do not have the social skills required to interact with their peers. The defining moment of this is when I read this article: http://www.thecampusword.com/content/view/1973/502/.

It's about Adam Gadahn, a home-schooled American who is now a spin man for al-Qaeda. I can't help but wondering if he had a "normal" upbringing at a public/private school, would he have turned into a senior operative for a terrorist organization? Would his classmates kept him in-check from an early age to conform to the norm? Conformity, in this sense, is beneficial and quite necessary, I believe. Anyone care to discuss?

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:16 pm

What an odd thought.

My children interact quite well, both with their peers as well as with those
who are both younger and older than themselves.

To be honest, I find your 'defining moment' to be rather strange.
However, following that line of thought, I have to ask;

What of the criminals that came up through public school?
If they had been home-schooled, would they perhaps, have not taken that path?

hmmm...

mark

Lily
User

Re: Troubled with socialization of homeschooled students

Postby Lily » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:11 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:02 pm

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:04 pm

bruisin
User

Postby bruisin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:41 pm

I have held many things in my life & I have lost them all, but that which I have placed in God's hands I still retain.

Unlucky
User

Postby Unlucky » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:48 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:08 am

I think most people knew that even 20 years ago, it's just that back then there was a real danger of Social Services taking your kids away if they played outside during school hours or got caught walking around the neighborhood. In Missouri, Social Services even did things like leave anonymous calls on the abuse hotline so they'd have an excuse to come take away kids, so you didn't want anyone except other homeschoolers to know who you were. That environment of fear has mostly disappeared at this point, however, since homeschooling is mainstream and public opinion more positive.

Basically, I don't think you need to worry. The latest crop of homeschoolers should have no trouble on the socialization end of things. Socialization or lack thereof is more a family issue at this point, not a homeschooling issue.

ClassiclyAmber

Postby ClassiclyAmber » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:11 am

Homeschool Kids are "Socially Challenged"!

I was recently in a checkout line and the clerk asked if my kids were home schooled. When I answered "yes", he responded as any caring citizen concerned about the social welfare of my children would, and asked, "aren't you worried about them not getting enough socialization?" The "socialization" question seems to be the old-standby, passive aggressive attack, by those outside spectators of the homeschool movement. How would my children be able to integrate into society, without first learning the valuable "social skills" that only a public school experience could provide?

Rest of article:
http://homeschooling.about.com/od/socia ... llenge.htm

I just have to laugh at this because the whole socialization "problem" has been disproved so many times...

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mathmom
User

Postby Mathmom » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:32 pm

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:58 pm

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:23 pm

I don't want my children being socialized to act like many of the public school students I encountered. And I certainly don't want them in college dating in the manner that was suggested in the article on your website.

I'll take my chances with homeschooling. :wink:

jennm2203
User

Postby jennm2203 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:19 pm

JAZZY, AMEN!!!!

I agree with you, I surley do not want our daughter acting like her classmates where she is right now. They are 100% opposite of the way she is even now and 120% opposite of the person I would like to see her become.

It is time the parents who are modivated enough to take this homeschool thing on, to take control of our kids and do what is right, teach them well, give them good morals and teach them how to be productive citizens who are considerate, compassionate and understanding.

(Let me add, just like in public school, kids will be kids but many times, the parents are to blame. If the parent will not control the child, will not teach morals and manners, and allows them to get involved with bad things, then bam! We have on our hands a bad kid, who was not raised right, just happened to be home schooled, so lets blame the entire home school idea! Home schooling should not be made the scapegoat of shoddy upbringings and lack of control. BUT the Public schools can be held at least 50% the scapegoat and 50% responsable, but it is when the teachers lose control and are not doing their job.)

Cheers!
Jenn

Pam
User

Postby Pam » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:58 am

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”