Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

livemocha for foreign language credit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ymaddox
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: livemocha for foreign language credit? Reply with quote

i saw where one of the libraries that can no longer use rosetta stone online have went to this as their foreign language alternate online... http://www.livemocha.com/ could anyone who has used rosetta stone review this site and see if it is comparable. This site is also free and I was also curious how that would work as far as being recognized as a foreign language credit when applying to colleges? Thanks in advance.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out Live Mocha last night. It's very similar to the sample of Rosetta Stone that I tired out.

I haven't purchased Rosetta Stone yet because of the price. Live Mocha fits my budget perfectly!

As far as it being recognized as a foreign language credit for college: I don't see why it wouldn't count. All of your other home school credits/courses count.
ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! This is great. I plan to use this with my daughter next year. I'm using it now to refresh my German. It's been years since I took German in college. All four semesters disappeared from my brain.
hmschooling
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!! I'm brusing up on my spanish! It's a great site and I think it's much better than RS. I tried the free library version and this is far better.

Thanks for the link! Very Happy
ymaddox
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my son and i actually sit down with the spanish mochalive and he was picking up very quickly so i think i may use this as his foreign language as well, he is 17 btw. I'm glad it is comparable to RS and will be helpful to you guys as well. And free is definately a price we can all fit in our budget. thanks for the help!
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What age do you think would be appropriate to start this? I have a 7 yr old who is interested in learning Spanish and I am thinking about something like this. Anyone use this or Rosetta Stone w/ little ones?
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shari Nielsen wrote:
What age do you think would be appropriate to start this? I have a 7 yr old who is interested in learning Spanish and I am thinking about something like this. Anyone use this or Rosetta Stone w/ little ones?

Well, Livemocha gives you pictures to help associate with the words and phrases. We tested Spanish and while I caught on quickly, my son (7 in May) didn't seem to grasp what the pictures were expressing.

I don't know if he really didn't "get it" or was being difficult (which he often tends to do when he's not interested). You may want to sit down and do a test run with your 7 year old and see if the pictures make sense to him.
ymaddox
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking just let him/her try it as well since it is free, your out no money.
SophieCassidy
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up, and it seems pretty good, so I might consider using it as a supplement to French lessons.

One warning, the "IM" feature pops up if someone wants to speak to you, obviously designed to practice your conversational skills. Someone started a conversation in which they asked if I wanted a threesome, and they talked about sex and some other inappropriate things, despite me repeatedly asking them not to. Just a warning about allowing younger children to use that feature alone.

Apart from that, it seems pretty good!
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Thanks for the warning SophieCassidy.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophieCassidy wrote:
Someone started a conversation in which they asked if I wanted a threesome, and they talked about sex and some other inappropriate things, despite me repeatedly asking them not to. Just a warning about allowing younger children to use that feature alone.

Wow. I wonder if there's a way to report that. Thanks for letting us know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: