Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mom needs help with Math

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladibugg
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Mom needs help with Math Reply with quote

Im hsing 3 kids,11,13 and 15. Im not good in Math AT ALL! How do I teach them when Im in the dark about it???? I hope Im not the ONLY one! In TEXAS SM
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're not the only one Smile

Happily, there are several very excellent publishers and products to help those of us who are inept in turn help our children.

Teaching Textbooks and Chalkdust Math both use computer/DVD to teach. D.I.V.E. DVDs are available for Saxon.

Those three should keep you going Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
ladibugg
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Math Reply with quote

Thankyou, thats nice to know. You are in central TX? So am I Laughing
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in TX south east part. I'm pretty good in math ( I know algebra like quadratic equations, graphing linear and quadratic equations, matrices, geometry like finding angles and sides and Pythagorean theorem), maybe you could somehow post questions through the forum messaging system.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how good this site is, as I haven't really checked it out yet, someone just sent me the link last night. I only skimmed over it briefly.

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try using Saxon math. Their program is incremental and they give very good examples. Their solutions guide also goes through the problems step by step and that can help alot.
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many resources out there on the web that are meant to explain things to kids that you will surely be able to find something to help you understand it also.

Just google whatever topic you are working on and the words "explanation, "examples", "help", etc.
You Enjoy Myself
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also might try hiring a tutor. You might be able to find a math/physics/computer science student from a local college. It would be cheaper than hiring a 'professional' and also more money for the student than most campus jobs pay.
oneofthegirls
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I started hs my girls last year- and I am the queen of math disaster, lol.
In school I did not pass algebra and was put in general math classes.
I suspect that I was dislexic also because I was in math lab and also reading lab.
Looking back, I had one parent who was also math challenged, and both lacking in the patience department. When I did struggle in math, I had no one to show me I could work through it-and build up my confidence.
"I can't" was a word I would always fall back on, and so my brain would follow.
I said all that to ask- what is your math background growing up? This could be an opportunity to build yourself up and do things that you thought not possible. Also, to show your kids how working at something over time brings positive results. When they see you trying, it encourages them.
We used Abeka last year and the step by step approach plus the parent manuals were a valuable asset. I learned prealgebra and things that I thought I could never do myself, or teach. I even learned how to decipher some word problems- for me that is BIG. Now I have friends call me and ask how to work a problem- that is too neat.
Math tutoring is a great idea, also, until you get the hang of the math that you are teaching. Usually once you know the basics, most math will repeat/review and build on next year's curriculum. I know this is the case with Abeka. I also kept my math parent manual from last year as a reference.
I've heard great things about Saxon Math, also. Just finding the one that you can understand the directions best is the key.
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneofthegirls,

Congratulations on your new math success! I've also found that I'm learning so much by homeschooling. What a blessing for us to get a second chance at knowledge.
oneofthegirls
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minniewannabe,
If you would have told me I would have learned something and benefited from my girls being homeschooled a couple years ago, I would not have believed you, lol. That's how hopeless and math defeated I was.
Isn't it neat how the right atmosphere can bring about so much good results in education? I've seen my girls blossom and grow and for myself, it is an added blessing to the mix. I tell people all the time- if I can learn something in math- then anything is possible, lol.
I'm excited that you are learning and growing too! I think it's great for our kids to know that this process doesn't stop. Thanks for sharing that.
karin
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to REALLY learn something is to teach it! As you start learning the basic concepts and teaching them to your children, I think you will find that you gain a deeper understanding of that concept! This in turn will not only give you a greater sense of self confidence, but will motivate you to learn more! The best thing about homeschooling is that you continue to learn right along with your children!

If you need help, please email me! I will be glad to help!
Alicelewis11
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you would have let me know I would have taken in something and profited from my young ladies being self-taught several years back, I would not have accepted you, lol. That is the means by which sad and math crushed I was. Isn't it slick how the right air can achieve so much great brings about instruction? I've seen my young ladies bloom and develop and for myself, it is an added gift to the mix. I tell individuals constantly on the off chance that I can learn something in math- then anything is conceivable,. I'm energized that you are learning and developing as well! I think its extraordinary for our children to realize that this methodology doesn't stop. A debt of gratitude is in order regarding offering that.
deenamathew
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like to learn something it is better to learn some basic concepts of the same to teach you LO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: