Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

meeting with PS today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abjennings
User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: meeting with PS today Reply with quote

DH and I have a meeting today with DS's,( 4th grader), IEP teacher, principal and homeroom teacher. I just needed to vent to someone and I chose this forum.
I will be HSing DS next year but we will continue to go to PS everyday so he can continue the Wilson Reading Program with his IEP teacher. I truly respect this teacher and she understands why I am choosing to HS DS. She is very supportive but tries to been unbiased and does not criticize the issues I have with PS. I respect that.
The principal is pretty much the same way. He is actually kinda "wimpy" for lack of a better word. This is his first year as a principal. I (and other parents) have met with him several times this year about DS's IEP. His homeroom teacher has blatantly ignored DS's modifications, for reasons like, "I didn't feel good",.."he needs to learn to do this on his own". I am one of a very long list of parents who have complained about this teacher over the years and nothing is ever done. Her father just so happens to be the head of our local school board. hmm.
I am apprehensive about today because DS's homeroom teacher will be in the meeting. I am torn between what I should say. IEP teacher and principal already know I will be HSing. She (homeroom teacher) will find out today in the meeting. I don't really know what I am going to say when she asks why. Because the reasons are,..I am worried that his IEP will be ignored at times next year,..I have had to teach him his Social Studies, Science and Daily Language this year and don't think its right for him to go to school for 6 hours and do homework for 2 hours,...he is reading on a 2nd grade level and seriously needs to catch up,..And all the other reasons we, as parents, prefer homeschooling.
I know his teacher is going to bring up the 3 behavior sheets that have been sent home about DS. He has been "cutting up" during silent reading time. DS book of choice is a 5th grade level book that he can't read, he told me he just pretends to. Part of me really wants to tell her how I feel. I think she is a terrible teacher and I feel so sorry for the upcoming 4th graders that will have her.
But I won't say that. I will tell her homeschooling is the best choice for our family. I will tell her that Noah's behavior issues this week are due to anxiety after a 2hr EOG test. (not the jelly beans she passed out in class). I will tell her perhaps for the last days of school he should be reading an appropriate book for his level. And I will smile and be glad this is almost over.
BTW, because of his 3 behavior sheets he is not able to participate in Fun Friday,...which is a "free-for-all" for the last hour of school on Fridays. Instead he has to sit in the cafeteria and read for an hour(what a way to instill a love of reading Rolling Eyes ). So I will be dropping by the school at 1:30 to pick DS up. I am not telling anyone my plans. It will be a surprise to DS and teacher. Shocked
Wish me luck!!
Allison

Sorry this was so long,..just needed to vent to someone who will understand.
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allison,

First of all, Good Luck with your meeting. I hope all goes well and no one drills you on why and how you'll be homeschooling your son.

About the Fun Friday, Good for you for not allowing him to be singled out like that. I don't know that I would be able to hold my tounge as well as you seem to be able to.

Best wishes and have fun homeschooling!!!
Kristy
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did it go? I was really nervous at my meeting too. I knew that it was what was best for us and we were the first family to keep our children in for IEP services but homeschool. We also used a lot of other resources that other homeschoolers didn't use. Gym, art, Field day, Library....Field trips...we like to push our limits. We don't do all of that anymore and this is my DS last year on an IEP, but it has worked well for the last three years. You will do fine too.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
abjennings
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo3boys wrote:
How did it go? I was really nervous at my meeting too. I knew that it was what was best for us and we were the first family to keep our children in for IEP services but homeschool. We also used a lot of other resources that other homeschoolers didn't use. Gym, art, Field day, Library....Field trips...we like to push our limits. We don't do all of that anymore and this is my DS last year on an IEP, but it has worked well for the last three years. You will do fine too.

The meeting went great!! I has a lot of support from DS's IEP/EC teacher. The principal and homeroom teacher didn't have much to say but were required to be at the meeting. I'm sure I will be using the library and participating in field day and other events. It's going to be a wonderful year!! Thanks for asking.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad! My only advice is to make sure that you draw a line now and not go over it as far as how much you are going to be involve in the school. You will probably find that as the years go by you will do less and less as we did, or not. Just don't let them pull you back for there reasons, make sure they are your own.

Again, Congratulations on a successful IEP meeting and an en devour into the world of Homeschooling, welcome!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: