Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need intensive reading intervention??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abjennings
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: need intensive reading intervention?? Reply with quote

My son is in the 4th grade and reads on a 2nd grade level. He has had an IEP for the past 2 years but he is showing little improvement in my eyes. Please recommend a good intensive reading intervention program we can use this summer and next school year. I plan on homeschooling him for the 5th grade. I have searched on the Web and it is all just a blur of info. I hesitate to get any recommendations from his teachers, because, you know,...they are not going to like my plan. Thank you so much.
allison
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to get better at reading is just to do lots of it. Have your son read out loud to you for 10 or 15 minutes a day and correct any mistakes he makes. Also get him interesting books to read (even comic books, if necessary) to get him interested in trying to read on his own.
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Theodore on this. There isn't always a prepackaged product for every problem. Good old fashioned practice should help wonders.
Miguelsmommy
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try The Magic tree house series. If you can get both the books and research guides, these were the only books that got my son interested in reading.
Cheryl
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: reading intervention Reply with quote

Hi-

My son was in the same boat last year. Just finished second grade and had a first grade reading level. This year for third grade we used
Saxon Phonics Intervention. Major, major improvement. At least two grade level improvement. Well worth the money. Very little teacher preparation. Everything you are supposed to say is in bold type, what they're supposed to say is in red.

Cheryl
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if your ds's foundation is poor, I don't believe just doing lots of reading will do all that much.

IMHO, the most comprehensive reading/spelling method is Spalding; the manual for the Spalding Method is the Writing Road to Reading. Here's the Web site:

www.spalding.org
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
abjennings
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
Well, if your ds's foundation is poor, I don't believe just doing lots of reading will do all that much.

IMHO, the most comprehensive reading/spelling method is Spalding; the manual for the Spalding Method is the Writing Road to Reading. Here's the Web site:

www.spalding.org

Ds is finishing the 4th grade and at a 2.5yr. reading/spelling and writing level. The good news is, his comprehension and, math and vocabulary are above average. He has an IEP and is taught reading and spelling at a much lower grade level (Wilson). And all other subjects are at his grade level and he has peformed above average.
This is not a situation where I blame the PS system for his difficulties. On the contrary, ..because I HS'd K and 1st. He has been in PS since 2nd.
I have just had some serious problems this year with his IEP not being followed and understood, by his homeroom teacher. And I have serious concerns that will happen next year also.
So next year I will be taking DH to PS 5 hours a week to continue the Wilson Program(and I love and admire the EC teacher, very supportive) and I will be homeschooling all other subjects. Can't wait!! Ordered Abeka Math, Oak Meadow, and Shurley Grammer today!!!
abjennings
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:

www.spalding.org

Oh!! I meant to say,..I have that book. I read your advice on another post and ordered it a few weeks ago!! Thanks!!
wannabe
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I agree that if the foundation isn't there, or if there are other factors such as dislexia or vision problems, no amount of reading is going to help them improve.

We accidentially discovered that our daughter had vision problems. She could see close up fine & distance fine. When it came to reading a sentence the words would blend together or fade to black. She said it was like trying to read as you go into a black tunnel. This is something our eye dr. caught. It's not something that would show up in a school screening. My daughter didn't know anything was wrong because that is how she had always seen the world.

Since then she has improved tremendously through eye therapy. Her grades have gone up. However, the school still wants her to have an IEP next year. We've refused it. So, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a program that fits my daughters needs.

So, I guess the point that I started out to make is not to wait too long if his reading ability isn't moving forward. There could be so many reasons why, none of which is his intelligence. Unfortunately, that is often what kids believe.
abjennings
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be HS'ing DS next year, but will be taking him to our PS 1 hr a day so his current IEP/ Spec. Ed teacher can continue with the Wilson Reading Program. I really love this teacher and she is very supportive of my decision to homeschool. Even the principal is bending over backwards to accommodate my needs.
I am so excited about all that DS will learn now that I am in control. We took the day off of school yesterday to hear one of the presidential candidates speak. (after the school sent home a note requesting students not miss any more days because they are preparing for End of Grade testing.) DS is doing an oral report in class and probably knows more about the issues and the candidates than any of the other students in his class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: