Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

llinois Law: Let me make sure I understand this correctly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: llinois Law: Let me make sure I understand this correctly Reply with quote

I am going to be starting to homeschool my nephew in the fall. He is currently attending public school. From what I understand...if his mom allows him to complete this grade with public school and starts the homeschool studies in the fall, she should NOT have to notify the school district, right? We want to make sure that all of our legal basis are covered. Wouldn't it be the same to the public school if he simply moved or transferred to a private Christian school?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: llinois Law: Let me make sure I understand this correctl Reply with quote

kkapfe wrote:
I am going to be starting to homeschool my nephew in the fall. He is currently attending public school. From what I understand...if his mom allows him to complete this grade with public school and starts the homeschool studies in the fall, she should NOT have to notify the school district, right? We want to make sure that all of our legal basis are covered. Wouldn't it be the same to the public school if he simply moved or transferred to a private Christian school?

Well, she should notify the school that he will not be coming back; otherwise someone may think that he is truant. The school may expect that his new school will be requesting his records (which would be the case if were going to another "real" school). I know how we would handle that in California, but I'm not sure how that might be done in Illinois.
tair
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In illinois you send a transfer notice. The notice simply states that effective on such date and time as you state the child will be withdrawing from public school and be enrolled in private school at (and this is where you put your home schools name such as **** academy. You then have only so long to request a full and complete copy of student records and transcripts to be sent to your school and they MUST comply. The only law you have to comply with is the compulsory attendance law. Which states that a child must attend school and must be instructed in basic core subjects. These are listed in the statute.
tair
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH BTW for kids k-8th grade... I use time4learning service. It is 20 bucks a month and has math, language arts, science and social studies. It allows you to track progress and grades and you can print the reports right from their site. It even runs on dial up.

Plus you get a discount on multiple students. If you sign up tell them parent user name tai_renee referred you too. they offer a two week risk free trial with a money back guarentee if you are not happy in the first 2 weeks.

time4learning.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: