Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schedules and Bedtimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Schedules and Bedtimes Reply with quote

Ceili wrote:
I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm not a very scheduled, structured, or organized person. I do what I need to do, but I don't have a set time to do things (and I've been known to put a few things off now and then--but nothing really important and I do get to them in a reasonable time frame). My 11 yo son is very much a night owl and he comes alive at night. He's so happy, pleasant, clear-thinking and productive. I have no problem allowing him to stay up and read, do school work, play music, clean his room, etc. However, my husband has it in his head that it's "wrong"--he needs a "normal" schedule: go to bed early, get up early, have set times to do specific things, etc.

I'm pretty sure my husband thinks he needs to go to school so he can be on a schedule and have more structure in his life. I don't think that's the way to go, but I'm willing to implement more structure here. The problem is that I'm not naturally a structured person myself. I've tried to implement a schedule in the past, but I think I overwhelm ds with this sudden and detailed "schedule". He rejects it, fights it tooth and nail, and eventually things ease back into the way they were.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can ease into some more structure? Should I just have a set order or specific times for things? Should I start out with just two things a day that we must do at specific times and then add one thing each week or every two weeks?

Also, do you think you can change your circadian rhythm? If you shift the current bedtime by 15 minute intervals, will you eventually adjust?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I let my kids stay up as late as they want. I'm a night owl. I have more energy at night.

Here are the rules:

They can't wake up anyone.

They have to be cheerful and pleasant when interacting with people.

They have to deal with all studies well, turn in work by 5:00 pm the day before it's due and deal with anything else outside the home on their schedule well. (They can't be tired or sick because they didn't get to bed at a good time. Anything below a B is not acceptable. Snapping at people also not acceptable.)

I wake them at noon each day.

I often work in the mornings and haven't missed any time with them because they are asleep.

My husband switches from days to nights. He gets a little pissy and self righteous when he is on days.

I make sure we get alone adult time.
ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad I found this thread. Now I know I'm not alone. My daughter (11 y/o) would rather stay up all night, but we have an 11:30 bedtime for her. She's up by noon, and rather than a schedule, she has a list of assignments for the day. It works for us.

Sheila
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: