Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montana annual notice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momom
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Montana annual notice Reply with quote

From what I've found online, in Montana, you're supposed to file an annual notice of intent with the county superintendant. Is there a certain date by which you're supposed to do this?
momom
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question, Montana law also requires attendance and vaccination records to be kept for inspection upon request of the county superintendant. Have any Montana homeschoolers here actually had their records requested for inspection? I'm trying to get a feel of how many times I'm gonna have to deal with that should I move to Montana. Do they do that once a year or what?
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do it every school fiscal year. I would assume that since you can start homeschooling any time, you would want to send in notification just before the start of each fiscal year, or whenever you start homeschooling, whichever comes first. This might mean that your first two notifications are less than a year apart, but it won't hurt anything to send too many Smile
isamama
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just moved from MT and hs there for nearly seven years. Do you know what town/county yet? I was in Gallatin Cty and the first few years I was told to turn in my attendance sheet, which amounted to 180 check marks on a calendar grid sheet. I did this up til a friend showed me an article stating I just needed to keep that on hand along with immunization records, so I stopped turning it in and was never asked for them. The law changed two or three years ago requiring us to record "time spent" X number of hours depending on grade of child, but still I didn't turn it in, just kept the info on hand. Generally, we notify in person the first time during the summer. After that they allow us to call in the notification. If Gallatin Cty is your destination you will be in a very hs friendly environment. The Cty super use to be my son's english teacher, so I know she supports hsers and our efforts. The office is located in the old courthouse on main street. You'll have to go there to get your vehicle registrations and plates anyway. If you move there midyear just go in and introduce yourself and notify. They now give out a card signed by the superintendent, so we have proof of hsing to get discounts at local stores. If you have anymore questions ask away. You don't happen to live in WY? We just moved here and I know what I'm suppose to do, but the Who and Where are a mystery lol.
momom
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isamama wrote:
We just moved from MT and hs there for nearly seven years. Do you know what town/county yet?

Actually, we were thinking Great Falls. Is that area very homeschool friendly to your knowledge?

isamama wrote:
You don't happen to live in WY? We just moved here and I know what I'm suppose to do, but the Who and Where are a mystery lol.

Sorry, I'm in MO. Don't know a thing about WY. Smile
isamama
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry it took me a week to reply; my dd25 was here from FL visiting for my birthday, so it has been a busy week. I've never heard anything negative about Great Falls homeschool environment. Good luck with your move. Keep us posted how you like it there - or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: