Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chapter books for 4yo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crafty lady 3
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: chapter books for 4yo Reply with quote

I have started reading chapter books to my 4yo. She enjoys some of them, but I am having a hard time finding books that she enjoys but that I can approve.

For instance, she loves Junie B. Jones (Or she did the one book I read to her) , but that child is a terror! Might not be a problem for the shy retiring child to see a model of a more outgoing attitude. But I see a lot of Junie's traits in my girl, and trust me she doesn't need any help to find trouble, or to express herself or to. . . you get the picture.

I tried American Girls, but she just isn't ready.

She liked the first Magic Treehouse (it has dinosaurs, after all) but hasn't seemed interested in any others.

Any suggestions?

Martha
Tiarali
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started reading my 3yo 'Mr Pink Whistle' by Enid Blyton. I don't know if it's what your daughter would like. I thought I was being a bit ambitious, but Jasmine loves them. It's got a *heavy* morals focus (he goes around righting the wrongs of people who didn't deserve to be wronged - you'll notice the children never complain etc.) and I think it's a little overbearing at times - but Jasmine doesn't seem to notice too much so I can pay attention to chatting with her about the parts of the story that I do want her to remember.

Edit: Actually, now that I've read a few more chapters, I've decided that while the book is highly moral, it is a worldly morality that is being taught, not a christian one. The main character is really quite nasty and even breaks the law when dealing with the 'bad guy' in the story. Sure, the good guys always end up happy, but I'm not sure I would have read this book to my daughter if I'd realised in advance the morality that it would be teaching - hadn't read it myself since I was 8 Smile

Last edited by Tiarali on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree with your assesment of junie b, magic schoolhoues can me alittle out there too, lying to parents. my son realy likes the boxcar children. and we like the cam jansen stories too. i hope you find some great books, share some others with us if you find some,
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: You could try Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories: Reply with quote

We all loved reading the Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories books when we were younger, or having them read to us. Good stories, all with a moral (but not so much of one that it bashes you in the face).

http://www.uncle-arthurs.com
http://search.ebay.com
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Popper's Penguins was enjoyed by both of mine, as were
Charlotte's Web
The Boxcar Children

and some Winnie-the-Pooh chapter-types (original, I think)
The Frog and Toad ones can be good, too.

Look for books written before 1980, with short chapters. Ask your children's librarian. You might be surprised!Wink
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: chapter books for 4yo Reply with quote

Winnie the Pooh and House at Pooh Corner
Lorren
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're reading The Magician's Nephew right now. My daughter is 4 too.

It seems advanced to me, but dd asks to hear about "Polly and Digory," so I guess she likes it, even if she's not picking up everything.
ldowns9315
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: The "Little House" books Reply with quote

by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

We just started "Little House in the Big Woods" with my 5yo and 3yo.

Remember, if it's a little long, but you still think it's in their range, you can always pop some popcorn and "bribe" them with it!
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad used to read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to us when we were little, and I think the Narnia series as well (it was a long time ago!) Good times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: