Not sure what to think

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

sarajoturtle
User

Not sure what to think

Postby sarajoturtle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:51 am

Im new here, and I have a question about my son. I dont know that he truly has special needs but I wanted to put this out there and see if anyone has had similar situations.

This is our first year of homeschooling. My ds is in kindergarten and one of the very few things we do for homeschooling right now is reading stories. He has never liked this, he doesnt like to sit still long enough to have stories read to him.

Well I noticed the other day that he doesnt "get" anything that I read to him. If Im reading a picture book he only gets out of the book what he sees in the pictures. I dont think he even hears anything that I say while Im reading it.

Today I was reading a chapter book to him (few pictures) and I stopped after one sentance, and asked him if he understood the sentance and he had no clue. I even read it a couple more times and he still didnt get it.

He also does some things like this in every day life. Like if he is doing something hes not supposed to and I try and explain to him why thats not ok, he responds with somthing that makes no sense with what Im talking about. Its like he hears ONE word of what I say and makes up something totally off the wall.

Does this sound like anything anyone else has experienced?
Sara

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:32 pm

He has trouble sitting still? It might be the effort of listening might be hindering his listening skills, if that makes sense. Many kinetic learners do best when they're doing, not sitting still or listening. They need more of a whole child approach - hear, see, do, and present - to get the concepts.

If you want I can give you some ideas that worked for us over the years. Mostly, though, I would drop your "schoolish" expectations right now and focus on how he learns.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm new. This is my first post. I have 2 hearing impaired kids. They used to do something similar to this when I read to them. They also had a hard time sitting still. More so for my son than my dd. With hearing aids they are doing great.

I recommend that you rule out a hearing lost. If his hearing is fine, then perhaps a auditory processing disorder.

I have a friend with a deaf daughter and a son who has an auditory processing disorder. Both receive speech.
Sharon

sarajoturtle
User

Postby sarajoturtle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Sure I would love your info! Anything to help!

I have thought that it might be an auditory processing thing also, where would I go to get that checked out, just the regular doctor?
Sara

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Sat May 16, 2009 2:05 pm

Sharon

MommyMichelle
User

Postby MommyMichelle » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”