Asperger's syndrome

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bobbinsx5
User

Asperger's syndrome

Postby bobbinsx5 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:04 am

sunnie_skys
User

Postby sunnie_skys » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:19 am

There are so many different signs of Aspergers. My nephew has it and we raised him for 2 years. It is usually the social part that really needs to focused on. They have a hard time with socializing properly. Children with Aspergers usually learn just fine.

Signs:
Do not look at you is the main one.
Sunny

ArkansasHomeschooler
User

Postby ArkansasHomeschooler » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:37 pm

jessgray
User

Postby jessgray » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:54 am

OliveOly
User

Postby OliveOly » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:34 am

A wonderful resource for Asperger's syndrome is
Dr. Tony Attwood's site called www.tonyattowood.com.au

He is very good. I also like www.wrongplanet.net

I have a child with Asperger's so, so if you have questions......ask away.

I suspected that he had it, as I had read about it before diagnosis. Do reading before you go to doc.

BrandyBJ
User

Postby BrandyBJ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:36 am

As a note - in cases of Asperger's yuo'r enot really supposed to test until after age 7 - because between the age of 3 and 7 - MAJOR syptoms can either regress completely or come up out of nowhere. In general, it's better to get tested for a ASD - (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and then have ethem tested again after age 7...they get a more concrete diagnosis. Currently, 1 in 80 boys is autistic (including mine). Also, quite a few insurance companies won't cover aspies, but will provide servics for autism. Also, some school districts don't recognize asperger's on an IEP....so for example, my son has asperger's, but all the neurologists told us (as did his teachers) "don't write asperger's - put ASD or Autism and he will still get services." Its worked great.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”