"Days" of school

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lorelei
User

"Days" of school

Postby lorelei » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:33 pm

I have a question regarding this. We are required to school 180 days. My son is currently in Kindergarten and we are homeschooling year round. This week he would be starting on lesson #80..but in looking at the next 20 lessons they are repetative and to me will be boring for him. It looks like I need to move him to lesson #100 to accomplish this. I mean, I know that nobody will really know but just wondered what you would do in a situation like this.

Thanks
Lori, proud mom to Hunter (6) and Dalton (3)

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:23 pm

Keep a daily planner and write down what you do each day. Then translate it into educational-ese.

Example:
The other day I told a teacher friend that for science we observed the different stages of matter and the environmental effects of each. We then did experiments with the effects of stimulants on the human body.

In reality, we sat by the window and watched the snow come down, first turning to slush, then building up into piles. And drank hot cocoa while eating cookies. Sure, we talked about it, and it was a learning moment, but can you imagine writing "watched the snow come down, drank hot cocoa" and that being taken seriously? :lol:

That way, if you do have a check up, you have it all written down. School isn't just about workbooks, so it doesn't even matter what page you do. It's all about learning that day.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Ramona
User

Re: "Days" of school

Postby Ramona » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:53 am

I would skip ahead to lesson 100.

Ramona

Return to “Homeschool Law”