Making math fun w/ educational computer games?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Ceili
User

Making math fun w/ educational computer games?

Postby Ceili » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 pm

I have an 11 yo son and I would like to get him a computer program that will help him to be able to apply his workbook math in real-life ways. Something like an investment game (someone suggested "Sims: Open for Business", but I know nothing about that).

When he was younger, he played a game called "Pharaoh" and it was very fun (he loved it) and also educational--he set up a community, trade agreements, relationships with other governments, learned how to develop economic growth without growing too fast, etc. It was really good.

So, does anyone know of something like this--fun, but educational. A stock investment game would be interesting. And if anyone is familiar with the Sims game mentioned above, I would appreciate a review from a home school parent perspective.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have to offer!

Ceili
User

Postby Ceili » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:01 pm

Oops! Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum initially! I didn't scroll down far enough to see the Math forum! Lots of good stuff there! Thanks!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:12 am

Along the same lines as Pharaoh, there is also Caesar, and SimCity or ATrain can be fun too. If that's not exactly what you're looking for, try searching around for the classic "Galactic Trader" sort of game, of which there are many.

I doubt anything The Sims is going to be terribly educational.

EDIT: I forgot SimTower and SimFarm.

Ceili
User

Postby Ceili » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:38 am

Thanks, Theodore! I will check those out!

PositiveMommy
User

Postby PositiveMommy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:40 pm

Try Cluefinders 4th Grade Adventures Puzzle of the Pyramid.

The kids have to go on an adventure through Egypt, buying things from stores, studying maps, etc, all using their learning skills. While it goes over other skills, math is included.

My 9 and 10 year olds love it. Even though it's for 4th grade, I feel like it would still be appropriate for older kids, too because it helps practice essential skills (fractions, decimals, multiplication, division, etc).

Anyhow, the kids love going through it and solving the mystery. They play it over and over again. They have already solved the mystery, but still find it fun.
"We can be one people, reaching for what's possible, building that more perfect union" - Barack Obama

charles
User

Postby charles » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:16 pm

There are some maths programs out there to help make maths more appealing. unfortunately some maths can only be learned the hard way..and sometimes there is no fun way.
You have the tough task of convincing a child that he 'just needs to learn ' some things th boring way. Games are good for some things but if you rely soley on those he'll have too many gaps in his learning.

Return to “Math”