Kindergarten Portfolio

How do you organize what your children have done into a record of work? Discuss this and other related issues here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:43 pm

Ophelia wrote:
elliemaejune wrote:
OIC. Well, then, wouldn't he be in first grade, not kindergarten? Just wondering.

He was a "young" 5 when school started. His birthday is in May. School started in August. We had just completed a 1500 mile move where his life was turned completely upside down. He didn't know his address or his phone number. He was still confused about what state he lived in due to the move. Daddy was also spending less time at home (he used to work from home) and this had a BIG impact on the children.

After consulting the Public School and a teacher there, she said that he didn't sound ready for Kindergarten nor was he obligated to start yet.

So he's had a late start on "officially" schooling, but really we started working with the kids at age 3. He's ahead in some areas and a bit behind in others. I am confident it will all work out in time.

Huh. I would never have described a child with a May birthday as being "young." I say this as someone with two children born in May :-)

Yes, it will all work out eventually.

I don't see a need to keep a portfolio for a kindergarten aged child. I might keep a few samples of things for posterity, but nothing so official as a portfolio.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:30 pm

As it turns out we are actually doing a combination of Kindergarten and First Grade material for both children (boy age 6 and girl age 5). It depends on the subject and the child's skill level. I'm also covering the same material with both children.

And we are keeping a Portfolio because the 6 year old will need to have a Portfolio Review Assessment done at the end of the year. Since the younger child is doing the same level work, I am also keeping one for her, but won't be required to have it reviewed until the end of the 2008/2009 school year.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Ophelia wrote:As it turns out we are actually doing a combination of Kindergarten and First Grade material for both children (boy age 6 and girl age 5). It depends on the subject and the child's skill level. I'm also covering the same material with both children.

And we are keeping a Portfolio because the 6 year old will need to have a Portfolio Review Assessment done at the end of the year. Since the younger child is doing the same level work, I am also keeping one for her, but won't be required to have it reviewed until the end of the 2008/2009 school year.

OIC. Makes sense :-)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Recordkeeping / Portfolios”