Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kindergarten Portfolio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Kindergarten Portfolio Reply with quote

I know once I get answers to this I'm going to think, "Now why didn't I think of that!", but since I'm a bit stumped and muddling through this first year....

What would you expect to see or what would you include in a Kindergarten Portfolio?

It seems to me that most of what we are doing is physical or verbal. I do have some worksheets where we practiced writing letters and numbers and some coloring pages. The rest of our work is not on paper.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect to see:

A few pictures
periodical papers (2 or so from the beginning of the year, a few from the middle, and 2-3 at the end)
An outline of a typical day/days from a plan book.
An outline of what was covered during the year.
1-2 projects.
mommyto2girls
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if she is not legally at school age, I wouldn't worry about what "they" want...just keep some stuff and a journal for your sake! Write down all the cute smart things she says that you want to remember, any "aha" moments she has, and things she enjoyed doing...she will love to look back on that someday!
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mommyto2girls wrote:
Of course, if she is not legally at school age, I wouldn't worry about what "they" want...just keep some stuff and a journal for your sake! Write down all the cute smart things she says that you want to remember, any "aha" moments she has, and things she enjoyed doing...she will love to look back on that someday!

I have one boy at school age (kindergarten) and one unofficially home schooling as she is not yet legal school age. She wants to work on everything big brother works on so we let her do the same work even though it doesn't "count". I am concerned about the older one.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O wrote:
mommyto2girls wrote:

I have one boy at school age (kindergarten) and one unofficially home schooling as she is not yet legal school age. She wants to work on everything big brother works on so we let her do the same work even though it doesn't "count". I am concerned about the older one.

Your older dc isn't compulsory school age, either.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
O wrote:
mommyto2girls wrote:

Your older dc isn't compulsory school age, either.

For Ohio he is. 6 to 18 years.
mommyto2girls
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

age six in kindergarten? so has he recently turned six? wouldn't it be he had to be six by a certian month (for this year sept 1 2007) to be considered compulsory?

I was thinking (could be totally off base here...someone please tell me!) that it meant like 1st grade six, not the day the child turned six. I am just trying to find out for my own sake...my DD is still 3, so we are far from worrying about it either way!
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mommyto2girls wrote:
age six in kindergarten? so has he recently turned six? wouldn't it be he had to be six by a certian month (for this year sept 1 2007) to be considered compulsory?

Yes. And he turned 6 prior to September 1st.
mommyto2girls
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see! thanks! now, sorry, but I don't really know how to answer your original question! But, i've learned something!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Kindergarten Portfolio Reply with quote

Some things I've included in K portfolios are photos of the kids at some local historical sites where we went for field trips; photos of the kids playing outdoors; certificates from completing swimming lessons, ribbons from participating in homeschool support group field day, and certificates from participating in church meetings and activities; and craft projects the kids made at home or at the public library.

Ramona
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get your children to complete the same type of assignment a few times throughout the year and keep the responses to show growth. It could be as simple as writing their name, address, telephone number, and a self-portrait or a response to the same writing or drawing prompt such as "I'm special because...". Or have them try to read a list of words and mark off the ones they can read successfully. Have them do it in Sept, Jan, and then again in May.

It is great to look back and see the tremendous improvement over the year and comparing similar assignments helps the changes really stand out. This really helps boost the confidence of both your child and of you as a teacher.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the responses. I think I have this under control now.

I did come up with an idea over the weekend for both the portfolio and making the kids feel special. Now when we achieve something, like counting to 20 or saying the entire ABC's I print them out a certificate of achievement on the computer. I give them one copy to hang on the wall in their rooms and one for the portfolio. They LOVE getting their certificates! And now I have a way of documenting something in the portfolio that is not on paper yet an accomplishment for the children for their grade level.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ophelia wrote:
mommyto2girls wrote:

Yes. And he turned 6 prior to September 1st.

OIC. Well, then, wouldn't he be in first grade, not kindergarten? Just wondering.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:

OIC. Well, then, wouldn't he be in first grade, not kindergarten? Just wondering.

He was a "young" 5 when school started. His birthday is in May. School started in August. We had just completed a 1500 mile move where his life was turned completely upside down. He didn't know his address or his phone number. He was still confused about what state he lived in due to the move. Daddy was also spending less time at home (he used to work from home) and this had a BIG impact on the children.

After consulting the Public School and a teacher there, she said that he didn't sound ready for Kindergarten nor was he obligated to start yet.

So he's had a late start on "officially" schooling, but really we started working with the kids at age 3. He's ahead in some areas and a bit behind in others. I am confident it will all work out in time.
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ophelia, thanks for the topic. i already keep all of my ds's work, but hadn't thought of naming it so formally - "portfolio" - thanks for the idea. so, for now, i've kept everything he has done in a 3-ring binder. he loves to draw, he draws everything under the sun, anything from winnie the pooh's hundred acre wood to spiderman to ANYTHING. the sky's the limit. especially if we read a new book, like we just finished the tales of peter the rabbit, in which, he couldn't wait to draw it & for his special drawings, as i've previously mentioned, he keeps in a special folder (spiderman folder) in a desk drawer in his room. once he draws a picture, (sometimes i don't know what it is) i ask him what he drew & i write that on the back of the picture so that one day when he looks back at his drawings, he'll know what they are. i also try & date them or make him write his name on them.

here's another thought: i always make him write his name on them & his age. so, he writes: Jake 5. do you remember when you were in school, you were assigned a #? well, his age helps him get really good at his #5.

again, thanks for the topic. this was great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: