Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Procrastined and Hated Chores
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Most Procrastined and Hated Chores Reply with quote

I find that the chores I dislike most really don't take that long to finish. I like to start preparing meals and don't want to take time to empty and load the dishwasher. I usually recruit one of my kids. It only takes about 10 minutes. They hate loading. Too bad.

Hemming,repairing, and replacing buttons. I don't hate this I just find it very easy to put off. I delayed hemming 2 pair of pants for my husband for 3 months. (very inconsiderate). When I finally forced myself, it only took 30 minutes.

Grocery shopping on a Saturday! Why didn't I go Thursday afternoon?

My husband hates caulking the bathtub and cleaning out the drains. He is tired of picking up leaves even though he uses a leaf blower. This is a seasonal dislike. Ask this question in the summer and he'll say he mostly dislikes keeping ahead of the algae in the pool. I'm glad he keeps up with this one. The pool would be green if I had to do it.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emptying the diaper pail has to beat any other chore. Smile
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Great question! Reply with quote

My most procrastinated chore is keeping up with the paperwork, like filing important papers, and keeping the bills and receipts in order.
I do fine recycling paper, like junk mail, however, if my kids have papers from a while back, I have trouble knowing what to do with them.
We are working on putting things in portfolios for the kids. I have files for the financial stuff. I am also hoping to get them to send some of their papers to relatives(everyone needs refrigerator art).
I just hate working with paper!
I'll do the diaper pail any day over the paperwork. Maybe that's because I have a system for keeping the cloth diapers under control. Just don't make me do disposables. Thanks.
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matching socks!! Crying or Very sad
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of getting rid of all socks that have holes in them. Then, I am going to get rid of, or use odd socks for crafts. Then, I will cull the socks down to a managable amount for each of us. There are 6 of us, so that will take me some time to do. I'm a procrastinator! I also like the cute toddler socks, so I don't want to get rid of some of them. I might try putting them in a lingerie bag when I wash them to keep them all together.
Anyway, I just bought myself 10 pairs of short socks and 6 pairs of crew socks. If I keep slippers on my feet, I shouldn't have anymore sock problems Cool
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We reach a point where lonely socks get dumped. My husband lays out all the single socks. He tells the boys to look through their sock drawers and any other place: in other drawers, under beds, stuffed in a closet, or in overnight bag that hasn't been emptied in a few weeks. Oh, I forgot: behind the sofa.
Open up the can and toss. It feels good.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dear! What about dusting with them? What about making puppets?

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also put them on your hands and use them to take hot pans out of the oven. Or you can fill them with sand and knock out burglars. There's no end to the uses!

My sisters would take some of the thinner socks, cut holes in the toe end, and turn them into dresses for their dolls Smile
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For odd socks with no holes...fill with uncooked rice and knot the end. Heat in microwave for a couple of minutes. Apply to aching muscles or joints. Ahhh, that's nice....
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas, most of you. Thanks for sharing. My dd's get lots of odd things for their dolls. And I have been meaning to try that heated rice trick.
As for Theodore's other ideas, well....thanks, you made me laugh Laughing

Ramona,
I'm going to try dusting with socks, today. I like the idea.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Just hours after I posted that I discovered that DH had thrown away a pair of socks because one had a hole.

I must educate that guy!

Ramona
mommyto2girls
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me and DH, I buy the same kind of socks over and over...when one gets a hole, we throw that one out and pair it with another orphan...

I hadle doing dishes and putting away laundry!!
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate FOLDING the laundry.

There's 5 of us. I don't mind washing it. I don't mind putting it away (infact, I prefer if I'm the one to put it away), but I HATE folding all that laundry.

The new system at our house is the 5 and 6 year old each fold their own, with some assistance from us. I fold mine, my husband's and the baby's laundry.

My husband hates washing dishes. So now the 5 and 6 year old take turns doing small loads of dishes (not including glass or knives). I have to say that having each of the kids take a load of dishes has brightened my day considerably.
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't care anymore. I used to use single socks for dusting, but they wind up back in bottom of the laundry basket. But, I will try the rice idea.
Well, maybe I do care. My grandsons are now at the age it would be fun to make puppets like I used to make with my kids. I feel a little more motivated.
4given
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: