Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

interesting thing about some nonhomeschooling parents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mommyto2girls
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: interesting thing about some nonhomeschooling parents Reply with quote

I was reading on another forum about the SuperNanny show from last week (we've not watched it yet - it is still on DVR waiting for us to have time!). Anyways it was about a family with 2 teenage girls and 3 small children. The teenagers called in because they were doing Public School at home on the internet (therefore many put them in the homeschool category). The show has caused all sorts of controversy. Apparently the two teenagers are left from early morning until sometimes 7pm to do school, housework, and care for the little ones.

Now the point (finally, LOL): this was posted on the homeschool section of the board and there were so many nonhomeschool parents commenting - backing up the homeschooling community that in fact this is not the norm for homeschoolers. Someone asked why they were posting on there (just from curiosity) and they all agreed that they respected homeschoolers, or just agreed with what they did and enjoyed listening to how they view things.

I was refreshed to know that some people do really respect us and appreciate what we are doing! I also wonder how many people actually long to be homeschooling, but can't for one reasonl or another? Somethimes I forget how lucky I am to be at home with my kids and that I will be able to homeschool without much financial strain (sure we will go without some magterial stuff, but we will still have a very quality life).
bruisin
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this show, that you are talking about, and I felt so sorry for all those involved.

That one girl that passed out from fatigue, etc. just looked so sad.

I don't know if the show 'up'd what really happened to make it look bad, or if this was really and truly what was going on...either way its a sad situation.
JaneLovesJesus
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the episode. The family did not "homeschool" in the least! It appeared the mom pulled them out of public school to be her free housekeepers and babysitters for her 3 year old (if I'm remembering) so Mom could run her own business. The teens got no 'homeschooling' -- just had to try to teach themselves while doing everything else.

Way sad! I couldn't help but think things were going to go back to the way the were as soon as SuperNanny left. Waah Sad

(uh, yeah, I do like this show *blushing*)

It's lovely if people saw through the "We're homeschooling" excuse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: