Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

homeschool name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quickshot
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: homeschool name Reply with quote

Ok, I know this is trivial but I can't decide what to call our homeschool. I haven't even sent in the form yet because I can't decide. Is that not just crazy or what??? Do you have a fun or serious name for your homeschool?

Michele
4given
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started with "last name" Academy. I think we read that was not a good idea. So my husband came up with Abide in the Vine Academy. I can go along with that one...mainly because I can't decide on anything better. The possibilities are endless and I don't do too well with alot of choices. Our main objective while helping them to grow academically is to help them learn to abide in the Vine(Jesus). So the name comes from our religious convictions. Others I have heard from, had more to do with location, children's names, etc.

Naming the school seems so permanent...almost as weighty as naming a child. Will the name reflect what we want to reflect, etc? Without my husband, we still wouldn't have a name. He's even designed a logo for t-shirts.

Good luck! HTH.
4given
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: homeschool name Reply with quote

quickshot wrote:
Is that not just crazy or what???

It may be crazy, but I'm right there with you! Wink
Lily
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We picked ours this way - we made a list of possible 'first names', then 'middle' names, then 'last names' and mixed and matched. It would be like :
List 1
-----
Starship
Great Adventures
Explorer
Winding Paths
Teddy Bear
Learning is Fun

List 2
-------
Student
Learning
Academic
Primary
Elementary

List 3
-------
School
Institute
Academy
House

Eventually we became the Great Adventures Learning Academy, or GALA. I figured no big deal if we didn't like it, we probably won't be in this state forever so probably won't use the name more than a few years. If we are still here we can use the acronym if he outgrows the name.
quickshot
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, I don't feel so bad now that I'm stressing over a name. I need to hurry and turn in my forms to the state. Decisions, decisions!!!!

Michele
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starship Teddy Bear Academic University!
gottsegnet
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe...We went with our last name the first year. The second year, I did a silly blog poll in which "The George Bush Institute for the Standardization of Intellectual Output" won. I didn't put that on my application, but I did accidentally return my paperwork in an envelope on which I had written it!

We informally referred to it as that for a year. Now we are the "Principled Discovery Academy." Named for my blog, but it fits what we do. : )

Don't stress too much. It took us three years to find something we liked!

Or just a little from my life:
http://gottsegnet.blogspot.com
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We mulled it over for a long time and since you can't change it once you send it in to the state in NC we wanted to make sure it sounded ok for high school too. We ended up naming ours Fellowship Christian School.
JaneLovesJesus
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is named for my dd's middle names: Grace, Joy & Hope Academy. But clearly, that wouldn't work for everyone LOL!
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We aren't required to have one but we named ours The Learning Tree. Funny thing is we never use the name. Laughing But if we decide to start using it, it will work well for us. I had planned to put a large cut out of a tree on the wall and decorate it for each season, holiday or theme we were working on. Maybe I'll get around to that.
SophieCassidy
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need an official name in the UK (At least I don't think so...) but we've decided to name it the Autumn Leaves Private Homeschool Academy.

We never actually going to call it that though, lol. Depending on where we are we'll probably either say ALPHA, or Autumn Leaves Acadamy.
tammymc
User

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Homeschool Name Reply with quote

I'm in NC too. We named our school Mountainside School. Our house sits on the side of a mountain, so it seemed an easy choice. You have to put the name on your children's high school transcript (I don't know how old your children are), so make sure its something suitable for that.

Good luck!
Karonne
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just let my girls decide and they came up with Best School. What I find so amusing about it is the acronym. All the schools here go by their acronyms so there's ACS, ICS, IAA, ABS, etc. And, we're BS!

Have fun with it.

Karonne
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picking a name may be trivial, but sometimes its the hardest thing in the world... btw, that is a fabulous suggestion lily!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: