homeschool name

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

homeschool name

Postby quickshot » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Ok, I know this is trivial but I can't decide what to call our homeschool. I haven't even sent in the form yet because I can't decide. Is that not just crazy or what??? Do you have a fun or serious name for your homeschool?

Postby 4given » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:40 pm

We started with "last name" Academy. I think we read that was not a good idea. So my husband came up with Abide in the Vine Academy. I can go along with that one...mainly because I can't decide on anything better. The possibilities are endless and I don't do too well with alot of choices. Our main objective while helping them to grow academically is to help them learn to abide in the Vine(Jesus). So the name comes from our religious convictions. Others I have heard from, had more to do with location, children's names, etc.

Naming the school seems so permanent...almost as weighty as naming a child. Will the name reflect what we want to reflect, etc? Without my husband, we still wouldn't have a name. He's even designed a logo for t-shirts.

Good luck! HTH.

Re: homeschool name

Postby 4given » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:43 pm

quickshot wrote: Is that not just crazy or what???

It may be crazy, but I'm right there with you! :wink:

Postby Lily » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:47 pm

We picked ours this way - we made a list of possible 'first names', then 'middle' names, then 'last names' and mixed and matched. It would be like :
List 1
Great Adventures
Winding Paths
Teddy Bear
Learning is Fun

List 2

List 3

Eventually we became the Great Adventures Learning Academy, or GALA. I figured no big deal if we didn't like it, we probably won't be in this state forever so probably won't use the name more than a few years. If we are still here we can use the acronym if he outgrows the name.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Postby quickshot » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:56 pm

cool, I don't feel so bad now that I'm stressing over a name. I need to hurry and turn in my forms to the state. Decisions, decisions!!!!

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Starship Teddy Bear Academic University!

Postby gottsegnet » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Hehe...We went with our last name the first year. The second year, I did a silly blog poll in which "The George Bush Institute for the Standardization of Intellectual Output" won. I didn't put that on my application, but I did accidentally return my paperwork in an envelope on which I had written it!

We informally referred to it as that for a year. Now we are the "Principled Discovery Academy." Named for my blog, but it fits what we do. : )

Don't stress too much. It took us three years to find something we liked!
Homeschool news and opinion:

Or just a little from my life:

Postby ncmom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:06 am

We mulled it over for a long time and since you can't change it once you send it in to the state in NC we wanted to make sure it sounded ok for high school too. We ended up naming ours Fellowship Christian School.

Postby JaneLovesJesus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:38 pm

Ours is named for my dd's middle names: Grace, Joy & Hope Academy. But clearly, that wouldn't work for everyone LOL!

Postby Miss_Kristy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:04 am

We aren't required to have one but we named ours The Learning Tree. Funny thing is we never use the name. :lol: But if we decide to start using it, it will work well for us. I had planned to put a large cut out of a tree on the wall and decorate it for each season, holiday or theme we were working on. Maybe I'll get around to that.

Postby SophieCassidy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:00 pm

You don't need an official name in the UK (At least I don't think so...) but we've decided to name it the Autumn Leaves Private Homeschool Academy.

We never actually going to call it that though, lol. Depending on where we are we'll probably either say ALPHA, or Autumn Leaves Acadamy.

Homeschool Name

Postby tammymc » Wed May 21, 2008 1:20 pm

I'm in NC too. We named our school Mountainside School. Our house sits on the side of a mountain, so it seemed an easy choice. You have to put the name on your children's high school transcript (I don't know how old your children are), so make sure its something suitable for that.

Good luck!

Postby Karonne » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:11 pm

I just let my girls decide and they came up with Best School. What I find so amusing about it is the acronym. All the schools here go by their acronyms so there's ACS, ICS, IAA, ABS, etc. And, we're BS!

Have fun with it.

Postby Glottis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:29 pm

picking a name may be trivial, but sometimes its the hardest thing in the world... btw, that is a fabulous suggestion lily!

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”