Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obama-homeschool stance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4given
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Theodore. It is much appreciated! Very Happy
jkenney1973
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for splitting it off. It was getting very frustrating.
Decrease
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic here, When watching the debates, early on, they asked education questions and questioned each of of the Democratic candidates about private and public education. Without exception, each one seemed apologetic for any past support of anything but Public Schools. They all seemed to place a high emphasis on Public Schools.

I doubt you will get much more straightforward out of the Democratic Candidates as they tend to have a strong loyalty to the PS.
jkenney1973
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm fine with their support of public schools. Those kids need the support. After all, some of them are our next generation of leaders (scary, isn't it?).

I'm more concerned whether or not they would interfere with our right to homeschool our own kids.
Decrease
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JK

The part I didn't like in the debate is that they were apologetic for any option besides Public School. It was almost like they were ashamed if they had to use another option.
jkenney1973
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see that debate, so I can't really comment on it. BTW, I'm still waiting to hear from Obama's state HQ about his stance. I have a feeling I may be waiting till the general election is over.
sunnie_skys
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they almost have to support the PS system since the mojority of the children go there. Thats really "I think" why they dont answer the HS questions or PR. School questions. Most private school so not have to conform to the PS stuff. They do not get their funding from the government so they dont have to conform to them. Just like us as HS dont have to. Well depending on what state your in anyway. But I tend to agree that PS kids need all the help they can get!! When we come in 2nd to last in our school systems that is just really really sad!
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that overtly supporting homeschooling would anger the NEA, one of the major Democrat lobbying forces. None of the Democrat candidates are going to be willing to risk that, whatever their personal opinion on the subject might be. The best you're going to get is neutral.
sunnie_skys
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwards has blatently (ooops sorry for the bad spelling) said he is against lobbyist and wants them gone. Not sure how he is going to accomplish that. But he does not like them.
Ceili
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
The problem is that overtly supporting homeschooling would anger the NEA, one of the major Democrat lobbying forces. None of the Democrat candidates are going to be willing to risk that, whatever their personal opinion on the subject might be. The best you're going to get is neutral.

You hit the nail on the head, in my opinion.

What's interesting is that Will Smith home schools and he seems to be a supporter of Obama. And, like someone else pointed out, Obama mentions home schooling in his book--in a way that makes it sound like he views it as a valid choice.

But I think you're right...Obama probably has endorsements (and money) from the NEA and that puts him in an awkward position.

What I struggle with is why the NEA is so opposed to home schooling. What it comes down to is money and jobs and egos. If they really loved children and were passionate about what is best for children, they would support those to whom they would be accountable (home school parents) if the home school parents were to enroll their children in public school.

The public school teachers who (if my child were enrolled in their school) would have me in on a regular basis for conferences in the hopes of getting me to medicate my child so that they can have a peaceful classroom environment are the same teachers who are appalled at my home schooling.

That said, I have run into two retired teachers in the community who have asked my son why he wasn't in school. When he replied that he was home schooled, both women commended me for my decision and told my son that he was very fortunate to have parents who cared so deeply for him. (I was very pleasantly surprised!)

So, it's about money, jobs, and egos.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a candidate openly supports hsing then they are telling the rest of the population that they are giving up on the ps system. At least that is how they will view it. The only way to know the view of someone is to look at their past records.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwards just pulled out, so did Giuliani.
jkenney1973
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Edwards pulling out will help Obama, and Giuliani will help McCain. If it came down to those two, I'd have a hard time choosing. On the other hand, if it came to Billary or McCain, that would be easy. Billary or Romney and I would just have to sit it out. I wouldn't even be able to pick the lesser of two evils between them. Ok, maybe Romney by a nose.

You know, I voted the other day, and I felt guilty for voting Democrat. How weird is that?
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, are you usually a Democrat voter and who did you vote for?
jkenney1973
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've voted Rep. all my life, but I decided to vote for Obama in the primary at least. I don't know if it was an anti-Clinton thing, or just that the Rep. candidates seem like the same old thing. But I will say this, while I don't agree with every one of Obama's positions, I like the fact that he is at least somewhat different than the usual politician.

I am glad to see at least one candidate from each party coming to the middle of the road though. I believe most Americans are not extreme right or left. We just want a balance of fiscal and social common sense. I think both McCain and Obama offer that; McCain a little more than Obama. But he is not as inspiring or charismatic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: