Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need help with Math

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeyore6067
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: I need help with Math Reply with quote

well my child is 14 and i found out this year that she does not know very much about math.The person who was going to teach her math has had alot of family problems so my child is missing out on the math part of homeschooling. I am not good at math myself , so we are at a standstill,in April she has the ITBS test to go take an we do not think she will pass the Math part. Can anyone Please help us on what we should do.

Thank You in Advance
Debby Smile
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting a tutor - which can be a very expensive proposition. MINDsprinting, the company I'm doing an internship for, has an online tutoring program which is cost-effective and can target the area that your child is struggling in. They take an assement test (which is free) and then create a cirriculum specifically for your child to get the help she needs. You can check them out, the link to MINDsprinting is in my signature.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: You could try math videos/DVDs... Reply with quote

Cramming probably won't help, though, with or without a tutor. You'll just have to expect low scores on the ITBS this time around. Is the problem that she doesn't understand the concepts, or that she doesn't remember the concepts? If the latter, she'll probably do all right in self-study as long as you use a curriculum that regularly revisits previous concepts, such as Saxon. If the former, you could try math videos/DVDs, which often do a lot better than textbooks at getting the idea across. This method is a lot cheaper than tutoring as well, since you can rent the DVDs you need rather than buying them:

http://www.familypass.com
(do a search for "Standard Deviants math")

EDIT: Sadly, Family Pass is no longer in operation.

Last edited by Theodore on Thu May 25, 2006 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
BarwickJ
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Math Resource Reply with quote

A great site for math resources is

http://illuminations.nctm.org/WebLinks.aspx

You can choose by strand. You can even download some of the applets on your computer for use offline.
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxon is nice if you buy the additional "answer guide" that shows where to get the right answer. When my mom got into math I didn't understand she used that to help me find the right answer. Smile As for the price - MINDsprinting isn't that expensive! Smile But it has a really nice free assesment test. I've heard there's a deal with HSDL, but I'm not sure what it is.
Moti
User

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Diagnose first Reply with quote

There is no one solution solves it all. Before you should start (though you probably already did so) on a solution path you need to diagnose the reasons for her math problems, or lack of knowledge. The reasons can be numerous: 1. She just didn't learn those things. 2. Partial knowledge resulting in too large gaps. 3. Lack of understanding of concepts. 4. Lack of technical skills. 5. Lack of practice (resulting in any of the above). 6. Mental block.

I have assumed she has no learning problems since you would have mentioned those.

The solution and approach that should be taken, as well as the material to use would depend on where her problems lie. I'd be happy to help you more if you provide me with more information. You can see how I approach teaching Math on my website.

Good Luck!
Moti
babaika
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Math Reply with quote

eeyore6067 wrote:
well my child is 14 and i found out this year that she does not know very much about math.The person who was going to teach her math has had alot of family problems so my child is missing out on the math part of homeschooling. I am not good at math myself , so we are at a standstill,in April she has the ITBS test to go take an we do not think she will pass the Math part. Can anyone Please help us on what we should do.

Thank You in Advance
Debby Smile

Can You specify the problems?? And what she actually Does Not Know about math?? Will be happy to consult on that.
alex e
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Take a look at my website for Math tutoring....... Reply with quote

Debby,

Please take a look at http://www.ziizoo.com for all levels of Math help.There are tons of really smart tutors online from schools like Stanford and Harvard and a bunch of them even tutor for free.
jinxyfred
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use this site http://www.conquermaths.com/

I canĀ“t say enough good things about them. Learning maths has been a breeze and very enjoyable for my 2 boys. The whole high school course is covered. Honestly it is fantastic.
Even if you decide not to subscibe, make use of the 16 free lessons!
MrBill
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Scholastic Explains Math Homework,
and find that a brief look at a page or two is all it takes to make sense of things and provide some additional tips to success.
Chinlau
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello eeyore6067

I can help online. Just post your questions to me. Or go to my website. I was a primary schoolteacher from Singapore.

Chin Lau
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One-on-one help will probably be your best solution. Think about getting someone to work w/ her, even if its just for a few months to help get her back on track. I do a lot of online tutoring and get amazing results, especially w/ kids in middle & high school. You could check out our website below if you are interested.

Otherwise, google "math tutorials" or replace the word math w/ specific concepts. Ex. if you daughter is having problems factoring, google "factoring tutorials". You might find enough easy to understand websites that you can work through w/ your daughter.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: