Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nintendo ds games- advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milehimom
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: nintendo ds games- advice Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice for good DS games? The last few we bought for birthdays or Christmas last year, were 'dud's and were too hard, or kids just didn't like them. In my opinion, they are too expensive to just take a chance on with out getting recommendation. So.... does anyone have recommendations of games their kids really enjoy.

My kids are 7, 9, 10 (girl,boy,girl). They currently enjoy Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Star wars 2, MarioKart and Mario Bros. They each have listed a game on their Christmas "wish list", but I don't want to spend the money if I'm unsure of the game. Thanks!
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest one my son got was Brain Gym...it is actually a series of exercises to supposedly strengthen your brain. He likes it to "wake up his brain" before school. So it's actually educationally-related!

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out a used game store to help keep the cost down.

Personally we just have game boy colors because they are cheeper to buy used games for.
milehimom
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both great ideas! Thanks
MP3
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, most of the good DS games are puzzle related. For the best games, try to keep away from the ones with big brand names behind them, like Disney. I recommend looking up reviews on sites like www.gamefaqs.com
milehimom
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you looking for educational games only?I only know of Brain age, which my kids do like, in that category.

I am always happy to hear of good 'fun' games for ds. At $30+ a game, buying a 'dud' game that no one likes is extremely frustrating! Mykids really like Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, and the new Mario Bros. games - MarioKart and MarioParty. I have a 7.5 year old girl, 9 year old boy, and 11 year old girl 11 year old girl really like Fashion Designer game.

I'd welcome fun game ideas too.
milehimom
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, Ha! I'm laughing at myself right now! I haven't been on the forum in a couple of months! WHen I asnwered this post, I didn't even realize that I'd posted the original topic in the first place! How embarassing!!!!!! I guess it just goes to show, I'm a tired mom, surfing around skimming articles while I watch tv at the same time!!!! That will show me to pay more attention!
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Sounds like something I would do! Laughing
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son suggests going to Game Stop to buy used games which could be $5- $10 cheaper and even 50% cheaper. If a particular game will never, ever be played again, consider selling it back to the game store. (It doesn't have to be the store from which it was purchased.) You get some credit to use towards another item.
My other son bought me Brain Age as a Christmas gift. The problem is that I have not made time to play it - only 2 times. It would help me, so I should put it where I'll remember to play.
All four of my guys pitched in to give me an iPod for my recent birthday. I never had a chance to open the box. They did it for me!
Regina
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: nintendo ds Reply with quote

i am definitely not advertising for them, but that gamefly online rental has saved my alot of money and grief. i hate to pay the monthly fee, but games cost alot. I have an 11 year old who just started playing video games. we like the sims for nintendo ds and i love cake mania and diner dash. i am addicted to the nintendo ds. someday, i will own one of my own. ha
comusher
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the used store near my home they will let you play them in the store before you buy them. It is cheaper and you get only the ones they like.
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd suggest professor layton and the curious village... its great, i even play it myself... the characters look fantastic, and what is great about it is that it should develop your children's problem solving skills...
douglisa
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get our games from Ebay or a place that sells used games.
At the store they allow my son to play the game a bit before he decides if he wants it, which is nice.
lovinmykids
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My children both enjoy Cooking Mama. They get to pick a recipe and create it. I admit that it is fun. I play every now and then.
millerfamilymayhem
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is old but I feel the need to chime in...

There's always Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars! (obvious sarcasm)

really Almost anything Nintendo itself puts out is gold. The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass has puzzle elements to an action adventure game. The mario games are just safe and a good time. Pokemon was used to get my oldest to read. Professor Layton and the curious village is more for the older kids and adults with a storyline based on puzzles.

The podcast DSLife and WiiSpot done by the same two guys is great. They are two hobbyists who put out a family friendly podcast on nintendos game systems. Other podcasts I have heard from professionals used very coarse language. These guys try to keep it clean. There is an occasional "hell" but not the F-bomb onslaught that others publish.

I try to stay away from movie tie in games. there is little love in the development and the product is rushed.

BTW ! Nintendo's Personal Trainer series : http://www.personaltrainercooking.com/
http://www.personaltrainermath.com/

are great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: