Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow! Another reason I'm relieved I homeschool!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treshay
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Wow! Another reason I'm relieved I homeschool! Reply with quote

http://www.theteacherscorner.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4607

I was browsing websites and came across a Teacher Forum. I decided to look through it to see if they had any good suggestions and I came across this thread. It's appauling to say the least! I know not all male teachers are like this, my husband actually wanted to be a teacher for a while, but the fact is, you just never know which ones are thinking like this, and since some of the other staff seem to think he's "normal" it seems obvious that he's not the only one who thinks this way. I'm just blown away and honestly wish there were a way to tell where this man teaches so we could send this post to the school.

Just thought I'd share with you all so you can breathe yet another sigh of relief for having your kids home with you and not out with the wolves!
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yucky! The thought of a male teacher using that power to take advantage of the situation......

On the other hand, I know a teacher that fell in love with a senior in his class, after she graduated they dated and got married and have a lovely family. But still the thought.....creepy....
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
treshay
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really just wish I knew where this teacher worked so it could be addressed before there is a more serious problem. There are some things I see as serious problems in the post - aside from the statement that he "Always" gets crushes - so it's not just one girl. But later in the post he makes statements like "mature for their age" and "age is just a number" - he's already justifying what he hasn't done yet.
4given
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this feeling that man may have been baiting others. Don't get me wrong...I know that teachers are crossing the lines of what's appropriate at an alarming rate. I even read something recently about a pedophile that began "shaping" a child at the age of six. He never touched her until she was 12. By then, she was convinced that she was in love. But the guy on this teacher board was so out there. Maybe I watch too much L&O but maybe there was some suspicion towards someone specific and they were hoping the person would break.
treshay
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that's the case. I was also thinking it could be a young teen who perhaps has a crush on a teacher and wondering if it's possible that he may feel the same so she's asking other teachers to see if it would be a normal thing.

For the sake of the teens at his school I hope it's a prank or something like that. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about what happens at my daughters school - I know I have to stay aware everywhere else, it's just one less worry I have.
hmschooling
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through all 3 pages of his post. I did get the feeling it was bait, but then after reading it all, I feel like it likely wasn't.

So, I contacted the site admin about it and asked if there was anything they could do including contacting someone at the school where he works to protect the young girls that could be put into a bad situation with him. He sounds creepy and like he will act eventually with all the justification he's doing.... he is only 23 and at that age, it will be SO tempting for him to act since the fact is that the girls aren't much younger. Not to mention he says in a year, they'll all be adults anyway. Creepy guy.
treshay
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly how I felt. At first I was rolling my eyes thinking it was someone trying to get a reaction but when I was all the way through I felt like some of the things he said couldn't really be "made up" without actually having those feelings. Like that he says they'll all be adults next year anyway for instance.

Anyways, I'm glad that you contacted someone please let us know when you get a response!

hmschooling wrote:
I read through all 3 pages of his post. I did get the feeling it was bait, but then after reading it all, I feel like it likely wasn't.

So, I contacted the site admin about it and asked if there was anything they could do including contacting someone at the school where he works to protect the young girls that could be put into a bad situation with him. He sounds creepy and like he will act eventually with all the justification he's doing.... he is only 23 and at that age, it will be SO tempting for him to act since the fact is that the girls aren't much younger. Not to mention he says in a year, they'll all be adults anyway. Creepy guy.

ClassiclyAmber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a kid, too. I mean - come on! What full grown adult and teacher uses words and sentences like that?

Still...whatever it is...they're scary.
MrBill
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassiclyAmber wrote:
What full grown adult and teacher uses words and sentences like that?

You would be surprised.
The "kids" in the last five to eight years, which this "man" is a generational
part of have found it acceptable to write like they have eight broken fingers.

Schools actually accept this from students without correction.
Its their job to get them to pass standardized tests made of hundreds of little dots a computer can read, thats what pays their bills.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, but that doesn't help you if the dots represent questions on spelling, grammar, punctuation, reading comprehension, etc. The problem isn't testing per se, it's the difficulty of the tests and the standards you're required to meet to pass. If all tests are pathetically easy and you only need 60% or better to pass (or worse yet, you're not even tested / graded at all...) then there's no benefit to working hard.

Basically, the problem is an emphasis on passing x% of kids, rather than an emphasis on actually getting kids to learn the material. If the entire class is pathetic, and scoring is on the grade curve (which I personally hate with a passion), then many kids will pass just because other kids are even worse. I say fail the whole class if necessary.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:

Basically, the problem is an emphasis on passing x% of kids, rather than an emphasis on actually getting kids to learn the material. If the entire class is pathetic, and scoring is on the grade curve (which I personally hate with a passion), then many kids will pass just because other kids are even worse. I say fail the whole class if necessary.

I couldn't agree more.
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmschooling wrote:

YIKES! I'm glad you contacted them. They should have discouraged this man from teaching. He needs to be out of the classroom, IMO.
april.fla
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was really disturbing. I'm very new to HS and am schooling my 8-year-old son mostly because he was behind and is VERY smart, but he's ADHD and isn't able to creatively learn in school, which is how he learns best. I have a very bright 4-year-old daughter and just last night my DH and I were discussing how much (since we were in school) teachers having relationships or crushes on their students have grown (possibly because of all the news coverage it gets now). We are considering HS my 8-year-old son longer to see how he changes and how he grows with it and my DD too. That was so disturbing.....it makes you think about your daughter being in that situation and how you would feel to see someone that is ENTRUSTED with THEIR education to be ruining their school experience by violating them that way....sick, sick, sick!!!!
PositiveMommy
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Very disturbing, indeed! I'm so glad the site admin was contacted. I'm glad my kids are safe homeschooling, but what about the others? Yikes! Poor kids. Sad
dogtrainer
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: s Reply with quote

I am concerned too; however, put yourself in the male teacher's shoes. He may be teaching in a district where there are no uniform codes, which means the girls can wear whatever they want. The clothes the girls wear nowadays can do alot to a man (skirts too short, pants/shirts too tight). In our school district and others around us, the kids have to wear uniforms, which at first I disagreed with, but it helps to create a since of decorum and keeps everything covered.

I took my daughter and a couple of her friends to the skating rink on a Friday night and watched some of these "girls". They would come into the rink with one outfit on and no makeup, head straight to the bathroom and come out looking like little prostitutes. Then about 15 minutes before the parents would show up, back to the bathroom they would go and come out looking like they did when they were dropped off.

My daughter and I have different opinions on clothing - it's the battle I will die in, but I am trying to teach her that if she wants a boy to notice her for her (not her body or what he "wants" from her), then she needs to dress respectably. No I don't mean neckline up to her ears or skirts to her ankles, but to think of how others will perceive her (walks like a duck, quacks like a duck - it is a duck situation).

I know that he needs to be reported, don't take me wrong, but seeing how these teenage girls act/dress - I am not surprised
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: