Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memorizing Tables
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Memorizing Tables Reply with quote

I started homeschooling our grade 4 and grade 5 student in A Beka DVD prorgram a week ago and they are doing well in all subjects except for Math. Both are having a difficult time. I love the program - the emphesis on memorizing the tables.

What is the best way for memorizing the tables quickly so that my kids will be able to enjoy their math program?
Thanks.
4given
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my oldest son.... flashcard drills worked best.

For the second eldest... writing the facts over and over. He had already been skip counting just for fun. Therefore, when we came to multiplication, he just had to put it all together in his brain.
4given
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I forgot to mention... incentives worked well, too. I would have them shoot hoops for every right answer. The object was to keep a smooth, fast-paced flow. They loved it!
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for your reply - I will do that.
mamaholly
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a break through with my DS. I agree with incentives helping. I offer him a penny every time he does a round of flashcards or some other drill with his facts. At the end of the week, each penny equals one minute of video game time. (We ration video game time each week and he's usually spent all of his tickets before Friday. He considers the pennies a real bonus.) He even asks if he can do the flashcards now! Very Happy I also didn't put any value on them being correct, he just had to try. He has anxiety issues so just seeing flashcards was enough to send him hiding in his room for hours.
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the penny idea - that would work very well for our son too.
mbark
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many web sites (with interactive features) you may use to practice multiplication facts.

http://www.aaamath.com
http://noetic-learning.com/mathdrill
http://www.gameaquarium.com
http://www.multiplication.com/interactive_games.htm
http://www.bigbrainz.com/
ruby.mein
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for sharing the link to us... this will help my little brother.... Smile
Sheepdog
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, many kids don't mind doing "flash cards", or equivalent, with computer. Less embarrassing when wrong answer given, maybe.

I refer the "simple" programs which just give problem after problem after problem. Some of the "fun" ones have so much sugar that it gets in the way of the work.

Let the computer exercise the child... and give careful and extensive human support, in the form of asking what the pupil's latest score is, etc, etc.

It also helps to break the task up... learn portions of the matrix at a time. Good drill programs allow you to cause questions to come from just part of the matrix.

Tom
Stuart
User

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Multiplication Tables Reply with quote

Easy!

I've done this hundreds of time with success in my classroom and my own kids.

Let's assume you want your child to memorize his multiplication tables up to 10 x 10. Okay, make, or find a 10 x 10 grid (or use grid paper).

Write down 1-10 across the top and along the side. Then, have your child fill in the missing products (products are the result of multiplication questions). When your child is stumped, have him look at a complete multiplication chart (oh, you'll need one of those as well) and fill in the missing product that he didn't know.

Finally, agree with your child on a seriously good reward when he completes the entire chart without looking.

Good luck.
Sheepdog
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grid... and the suggestions re showing interest in child's progress... excellent way to START process of learning tables.

It soon becomes, however, an exercise in counting in 2's, in 3's in 4's, etc.

And the task is not "bite sized" enough.

Once the child is doing well will getting answers by counting up, etc, as soon as possible, if only with shuffled flash cards, move on to questions presented in a random sequence. Those questions can be only on problems up to, say, 5 x 5 until the pupil is fluent... and even a little bored... better bored than overwhelmed.

Computer based practice really comes into its own at this point. A quick test of a random 10 problems, with a "time to get them right" (and no penalty, beyond the time wasted) for wrong answers score is easy for the computer to offer.
dkocur
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheepdog wrote:
For some reason, many kids don't mind doing "flash cards", or equivalent, with computer. Less embarrassing when wrong answer given, maybe.

I refer the "simple" programs which just give problem after problem after problem. Some of the "fun" ones have so much sugar that it gets in the way of the work.

Let the computer exercise the child... and give careful and extensive human support, in the form of asking what the pupil's latest score is, etc, etc.

It also helps to break the task up... learn portions of the matrix at a time. Good drill programs allow you to cause questions to come from just part of the matrix.

Tom

Great advice Tom! Studies have shown that ADHD kids fare much better using computer programs that don't have all the glitz and glamor.

I'd also caution against software that tries to reward the student for doing drills with a game to play. This puts the emphasis on getting to play the game, not learning the material. I can't tell you how many of these programs we've tried and all my kiddos learned from them was what was the easiest way for them to earn a game.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have more than one child, you can use a set of flashcards and turn it into a competition to see who can answer the most questions the fastest. Any math-based game such as Yahtzee, Muggins, etc. may also help.
Dr. Moti Levi
User

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another method is to have them just write the table (2x1=2, 2x2=4...) few times a day. Then, they should just fill it. Then, ask them randomly. When they can answer to random ones immediately without a mistake - they are done.

And of course, incentives always work Smile
MathonDVDs.com
User

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You should try the Flashmaster, which is an electronic flashcards for learning the addition, subtraction, multiplication and division tables. It is simply amazing. Just go to flashmaster.com. My DD is 6 years old and just loves it. She chooses it over her DS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: