always playing

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Elei
User

always playing

Postby Elei » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:03 am

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:24 am

Hi Elei,

I think most people probably struggle with this problem on some level. I give mine breaks to play, but when it is time to resume school, that is it. Often I have to remind them that it is a school day, and we will be doing school. I don't believe you can let them play as long as they want, or that would be all they do. They still need structure.

Calleigh

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:12 am

Hi Calleigh

Thank you for your answer. I actually do the same thing. They HAVE TO work.
But the thing is I read quite a lot about homeschooling before starting this and you read these wonderful things about children learning on their own, they have this natural instinct that they just want to learn.
I do believe in this but now at home I just don't see it happen. I start to believe that my children don't WANT to learn anything. Well yes, they want to learn about animals, so I make him copy texts about animals, we look for pictures about animals. But sometimes even the copying is too much for him, he gets tired after two lines and then it's the struggle again about finishing it, the star stickers for extra Playmobil, he starts to write very big so he can finish the page quickly.... etc... etc... They seem to love the rule: let's see if we can get everything done, doing the least of effort.
But I do believe that the most important thing in succes is just that: effort, doing your best. How do you get a child to do "his best"?? if the only thing he thinks about is getting out of the work as soon as possible and start playing.....

Do they ever get into the joy of learning??
Elei.

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:52 am

Elei,

I'm sure you will soon get more responses to this and they will be quite different from mine... I think that while yes, children should like to learn, they also are going to try to do as little as possible USUALLY. I'm sure there are those minority cases who actually want to learn, learn, learn :shock: . Not in my house, though.

I think it is really important for them to understand that there are lots of things in this life that we don't necessarily want to do, but we just have to do it. If I let them slack in the school department, I think it will eventually carry over into other aspects of their lives. I do pray for balance, though! :|

It sounds like you have sons (so do I), and generally I find that boys want to get things done in the least amount of time, with the least amount of effort. :roll:

Calleigh

Ramona
User

Re: always playing

Postby Ramona » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:05 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:19 am

I love natural history, it is my favorite topic, we catch and take care of animals. Mostly reptile and amphibians, some insects. In order to keep them for any length of time, they have to learn about them, their habitat, and their food. This leads to learning about ecosystems and the food chain, as well as the classes and orders of animals. I don't assign copy work I think it promotes plagiarism, (from my own experience) I let them keep a journal and write what they have learned and draw pictures. I don't give them a limit, they do it on their own. That said, my oldest will do it as quickly and lazily as possible, while my 8yo, will make a wonderful drawing and write some great and interesting facts. Either way is ok, I know that they have learned something, and I know that my oldest would rather study engines and that's ok. I'm not expecting him to be a biologist.

I think that we need to accept that children will remember what they want to remember and what we make memorable. When they are older they will choose a specialty, then they can do more in depth stuff, right now they are just learning a little about everything so that they can decide what they want to learn about later.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:06 pm

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:09 pm

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:41 am

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:53 am

Alrighty then, why don't you do a SMALL amount of time (initially, then increase it gradually) of doing some multiplication flash cards. Starting with twos (or whatever) and then kind of add it into his play time after.... "You have these two pieces of playdough...two more of them...two times two is four; just like in your cards." Or something like that.. That way you are reinforcing the flash cards.

They do need to learn to spell, write, etc.. Life is not all games (in fact most of it isn't :roll: ; but he doesn't need to know that yet!) :wink: .

Calleigh

cartersmom
User

Postby cartersmom » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:21 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:58 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:20 am

Thanks for the good advice and ideas.
I think my problem is the "relaxing". We also have this problem that in Spain homeschooling is not allowed, so in case we have problems I have this feeling I have to show they have been "doing school".
But I know you are right, the wonderful stories about homeschool children cooking their own meals and studying two courses ahead make it a bit depressing when you have children who are learning one course behind.
Thanks for the advice.
Elei.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”