Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many kids are you/ did you have and why?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: How many kids are you/ did you have and why? Reply with quote

I'm curious why people decided to have the number of kids they have or plan to have a certain number. I'll be back later to say how many and why for my family.
4given
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have four sons.

Reasons...

I knew for sure I wouldn't choose to have an only child. I am one and always longed for a sibling.

After our third son, we thought maybe the next one would be a girl. Laughing

I can't think of any other reasons. We would absolutely have more but this last pregnancy took a toll on me.

I look forward to other's responses!
sevenkidsisgreat
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 7 children, (3 girls aged 19, 8, 6) and (4 boys aged 17, 13, 11, and 2). My husband and I came from very dysfunctional families and wanted to start over with our family and build a better legacy.

Cheryl
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have three. Catherine almost age 7, Anna age 3, and Christopher age 2.

We always said we wanted at least 2 kids (I was an only child as where my parents). Christopher was a nursing surprise, we had already talked about hubby getting fixed so we would not have anymore children when we learned we where going to have him. After 3 c-sections and two of them 15 months apart we where done. So while c-sectioning Christopher I had my tubes tied.

To be honest I love the idea of a BIG family however I don't know that we could afford to have anymore nor be able to handle any more.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have three boys 10-8-2, We like to say that we couldn't have children if we tried! Laughing Cody was a teenage surprise, I was 19 Tim was 18, Caelan was a "don't take antibiotics on the birth control pill" Embarassed and TJ was a "the pill has crappy side effects lets try something else" Confused We enjoy them all and I would have loved to have more but hubby didn't want me to go through all that again. So he had his tubes tied. He figured I had three painful labors he could go through a little doctor's visit. (He ended up having to do it twice though. Wink
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have three. I always said that I wanted 5. But after giving birth to my daughter, I experienced secondary infertility. So we adopted our two boys. That is all that we were able to handle financially. Sometimes I think it would be nice to get pregnant and have another biological baby, but it's in God's hands.

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have eight brothers and sisters. Mom and Dad decided to have as many as God gave, and apparently that was quite a few Smile
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first marriage, I wanted to have a baby right away. He did not. Eight years later after my Dad died, he finally wanted to have a baby. I got pregnant. He wanted to "talk." He wanted me to get an abortion. I refused. He walked out.

In my second marriage, I wanted to have a baby right away. So did he. We had a baby right away so the two kids could be as close in age and as siblings as possible.

I wanted more. He did not. So I quenched my baby "hunger" by working at a mother's day out program.

I was an only child. So I did want at least two.

He was one of three. He feels we don't have the "right" to do more than "replace" ourselves.

Currently I am very happy with my kids, their ages and abilities. I couldn't imagine having a baby and starting all over right now.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How many kids are you/ did you have and why? Reply with quote

I just had #7 a few weeks ago. (Actually, this is #9, but two of them died before they had lived long enough to be born.)

We keep thinking I'm surely getting too old to have any more and then we keep being blessed with another one. Very Happy

I love itty-bitty newborns, but they always turn into something else so I want another.

DH is just a big-ol' softy who loves kids of any age.

I say, "the more the merrier."

Smile

Ramona
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend expecting #12. They are a one income family homeschooling them all! The mom said that they just take what God gives them. SHe also said that when she gets older she can visit them each for a month and have the whole year covered! Very Happy
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
mark_egp
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 4 now. 3 girls age 14-9 and now a new baby boy 9 years later. We were previously of the contraceptive/planning mindset but now see that was not God's will. It's a long, wonderful story I may write up on my blog someday. The basic change was to believe the Bible after years of persistent reading. I'm a slow learner, but thank God for His patience with me and for giving me a wife younger than me who is still well within child-bearing years.
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have five, four boys: 14, 13, 10, 7, and one girl, 9.

We never set out to have a big family, God planned all that for us. Every one was a surprise. After our baby was born I had some severe complications and the dr. told me it would be dangerous for us to have another, so we have made sure not to have anymore.

Every so often I will see a baby and think back to how much fun they are when they are teeny tiny, but that only lasts for a minute. I am so content with where our family is, I enjoy them at the ages they are, so I'm glad we stopped when we did.
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my husband and I are the Abraham and Sarah of the group. Wink We waited on a promise from the Lord for long time. We have been blessed with one child late in life (when most are grandparents) as was His will and the Lord has also told us that she will be the only one. Yet, He told us that He had blessed us with an exceptional child and we would greatly pleased with her... and we have been.
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: How many kids are you/ did you have and why? Reply with quote

Hi,
My husband, Mark and I have 4 children, dd 12, ds 9, dd almost 7, and dd 21 months. They are blessings from the Lord, and we did not want to miss a blessing from the Lord! It helps to have doctors who are Christians and pro-family, too. What a blessing.
We thought we might have another baby after #3, so we kept all the baby stuff. Then 3 years went by and our youngest was about to turn 4, and we were planning to move. That was my breaking point with my holding out for #4. My husband was telling people, if they asked are you going to have any more children, "If it's the Lord's will". I usually just say "I don't know". We gave all our baby stuff away, including my beloved nursing pillow and sling(I found 2 new mothers and regifted them with them).

So, then a few months after that, I found out I was expecting #4. It has been a wonderful experience. The Lord supplies all our needs, and right now I need patience to keep my little toddler out of trouble.
It has also made a big difference in our "pocketbook" that I have nursed all 4 and have done cloth diapers for all 4. We're a happy family letting the blessing flow from above.
Thanks[/url]

Last edited by Mathmom on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two sons. I didn't want more than that because I personally felt like I couldn't handle more than that! I never planned to homeschool and I am glad we only had two. I feel like I would not do well with more. (Although I am very impressed with all of you who have so many and are able to homeschool and survive!! Wink )

Calleigh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: