Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pros and cons of Ritalin
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batwing
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Pros and cons of Ritalin Reply with quote

My grdaughter,age 9 has been diagnosed as ADHD and possibly mildy bipolar. She was recently put on Ritalin. I've read so much about the good but also the dangers of Ritalin.
Have any of you had personal experiences with R?? Do you think it can lead to later drug addiction? Did your kids improve or get worse? Any info or input you have will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is a lot of controversy on Ritalin. My son is on Adderal (a similar drug for ADHD). I find that it makes a huge difference with him taking it. Without Adderal, he can not focus. He is distracted, hyperactive, goofy, off-target, etc. He has no self-control without medication. It is just very hard for him to focus on structured tasks, such as schoolwork, without medication. So to answer your question, I do see a big difference when he is on the medication. I have not read any studies that prove a tendency for later drug-addiction. I think it is always worth a try. See if it makes a difference for your GD. If the benefits do not outweigh the side-effects/risks, then take her off of it.

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any kids on any drug myself but as a community leader and mom I've observed kids who are, know kids and moms that have dealt with them and so on.

Some kids probably need the chemical help. I don't believe it leads to addiction.

That being said, I'm generally against medicating people and kids unless there are no other alternatives. We live in a society that pushes drugs as the magic key to everything. I know entire families on the same drug.

I know entire classes that have had the teacher tell every single parent their child was ADHD and needed to be medicated.

That's crap.

I also know some parents that think it is essential for their kids.

Several parents I know could not stand the roller coaster of emotion and energy levels it put their kids on.

I also know kids and parents that seem to use ADHD as an excuse for everything. Often these kids do NOT seem to be benefiting from the medication. It's difficult to imagine them behavior in a more disruptive or dangerous manner.

Rarely, in fact, never, have I heard of a parent actually giving their kids the yearly reevaluation that is called for when using these drugs.

I'm sure it works great for some.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put Stellar, just one thing to add. Make sure that the child understands that they are ok, with or without the drug. Some people, and schools will not let the children in the class unless they have had there meds. This makes the child feel like they are no good unless on the meds and this doesn't help them at all.

If you feel that your child need them, then don't let others make you feel guilty about it. Those of us that don't like medication can get a little strong in our opinions sometimes. I am certainly one of them.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that. Don't drug your kids unless there's no other alternative. The problem with prescribing drugs for bipolar is that while the drugs can theoretically help when applied on the right phase (manic or depressive), they can make things worse if applied on the wrong phase, causing psychosis / suicide. There are also a host of side effects, including depressed immune system. Better to make do with proper diet, exercise (tires you out and supplies natural dopamine) and skip the drugs, certainly for only a mild case of bipolar.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this too. I once had a counselor tell my my daughter was severely depressed. I agreed with that. She also said my girl had ADD. I didn't agree with that. My research didn't confirm that either.

This professional wanted to put my girl on drugs. I said no. In fact, when I'd first taken my child to her, I told her, don't ever mentioned drugs to me.

My mother has been through the revolving doors of drugs with counselors. As far as I can tell they have done little but screwed up her biochemical mix, addict her and offer her the weapon to try to kill herself with time and again.

I'm against them.

Anyway, the counselor, called a meeting with my daughter IN THE ROOM to make me look bad. She basically said, we are in crisis here. If you don't trust me and let me do what I can, I don't know how I can help.

What I think she expected what that my girl would think I was horrible and that my daughter would want the drugs. She was so wrong.

I, not so patiently, explained again, I wanted her to use behavioral and talk therapies, period.

Around this time I considered addressing the main thing depressing my girl, public schooling. The counselor thought that was a mistake.

In fact, she thought, the child would get more depressed at home because she assumed I WAS the problem.

Less than two weeks later, my girl was completely different and mostly very happy. Even the counselor had to say I'd done the right thing and she'd been wrong.

I believe there are usually better alternatives than drugs, particularly when we talk WITH, not at our children and get to the root of problems.

A school has BIG problems with ADD and ADHD because it spends MOST of it's time not teaching but controlling or attempting to control the classes.

However, the OP is, I think a grandparent. That likely means he or she is NOT the decision maker for this child. In that case all you can do is support the parent's decision and make your relationship with them and the child as good as possible regardless of what is going on.
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of Ritalin Reply with quote

batwing wrote:
My grdaughter,age 9 has been diagnosed as ADHD and possibly mildy bipolar. She was recently put on Ritalin. I've read so much about the good but also the dangers of Ritalin.
Have any of you had personal experiences with R?? Do you think it can lead to later drug addiction? Did your kids improve or get worse? Any info or input you have will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!
We went the drug route briefly at the insistance of a Dr. then we fired the Doc.
The drugs messed his system up pretty good but it was only for a short while.
After firing that Dr. we started digging the rest of the way to the root of the
problem. The things we found for him included neurological responses to things
like corn, wheat, and artificial food colors. There are still some issues to work
through, but without those in his system he's a new young man. Very Happy

Mark
isamama
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a young parent that wanted the best for her child when I was first told my son had ADHD. I trusted "educational and medical professionals" to guide me, so I followed their directions.

First it was ritalin, then up the dosage, change the med, up that dosage, change the med again and after upping that dosage I said, "enough is enough" my son isn't a guinea pig. He was on meds for about two and a half years. He was aged six to eight and still remembers the odd taste in his mouth and various side effects. He slept walked on meds. He also turned out to be a slight built young man. He wishes we had never drugged him and stands firm on that fourteen years later; in hindsight I'd love to turn back time and just give my lil tasmanian devil a great big ole hug. Adderel was a drug that came out after our time, so I can't speak for that. My son isn't a drug addict, he hates alcoholic beverages, and is a law abiding young man now that is still ADHD. Oddly he seems to have outgrown one of his disabilities - auditory processing.

There are alternatives and I'd prefer to hear parents tried those first before resorting to meds. My son uses blue green algae supplements and brain bio rhythm methods. He is a junior in college now.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctors told mom to diet when she was having me, then after that caused me to be born premature, they said I'd never walk, then after I started walking (with feet splayed outwards because of muscle weakness) they said I didn't need foot braces.

Some doctors are complete morons.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think far to many children these days are being diagnosed with ADHD. There are many reasons why it could be happening, but in general, I feel that a great majority of the children diagnosed with ADHD are simply healthy high spirited curious children that the schools/teachers didn't want to deal with.

Now for the children that truly are ADHD there are other steps parents can take to helping the child before resorting to Ritalin. I've read numerous articles on how and change of diet can help many children. I encourage you to do some research on the topic. Thanks to the internet we have a lot of information right at our fingertips.

I've known several children that were prescribed Ritalin. I knew a little girl that was a happy out going smiling 5 year old in kindergarten and the next year, while on Ritalin was a body walking around with no life and no spirit inside. It was heartbreaking to see her having known what she was previously like. This is the only child that I had the opportunity to witness both before and after Ritalin. The other children always seemed "odd" to me but at the time I was too young to understand why they were "odd".

I don't like to take medication for anything unless it is absolutely necessary. I feel that American's these days are far over medicated. (I'm certain the drug companies have a great deal to do with that.)

When I was in the hospital in August delivering my third child everyone was so concerned about me experiencing any discomfort or pain. Medication was offered constantly and it drove me insane. If I had truly been in a lot of pain I would have gladly accepted the medication, but I did not feel that slight discomfort warranted medication. And I find medicating children needlessly to be appalling.

I understand that some children truly do require medication for behavioral and learning conditions, but I find it really disturbing when almost every parent I know or meet has at least one child on medication for these conditions.

Is Ritalin addictive? Here's just 2 of many sites on the subject. I'd suggest you or the parents research if for yourselves. Personally, I'm against it except as a last resort.

http://www.addictionwithdrawal.com/ritalin.htm
http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/drug_guide/Ritalin
Ceres
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links don't work for me . . . is it just me or do they not work for anyone else?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't access them, either.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site doesn't handle URLs with periods on the end real well. I fixed them, they should work now.
Ceres
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
The site doesn't handle URLs with periods on the end real well. I fixed them, they should work now.

Thanks. Very Happy

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Latest news from researchers says drugs DO NOT work for ADHD Reply with quote

I get a newsletter from a local doctor. This article was included in the latest one. It includes references and is very up-to-date which helps when you are doing research.
Here's the url to the article:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/12/01/drugs-are-not-the-answer-for-adhd.aspx

You might have to cut and paste it to get to it.

The title of the article is "Drugs Are Not the Answer for ADHD".

If you read the whole article, you will see that they recommend fish oil as a treatment. Yes, food can be a treatment, and there is hope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: