Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grading age
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  

WHat grade do you start grading?
K-3
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
4-6
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
7-8
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
high school
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Grading age Reply with quote

I was wondering how many of you actually grade, and at what level do you start? I grade spelling papers, but they are all 100% because I make sure they know them before I test, other than that we just do work until I know they know it.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't an option for never. We don't grade anything because we work on something until mastery is achieved so all grades would be 100%. We also don't test so there is nothing to grade.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been Grading since day one. I want my kids to know what it means to pass and fail, since in our society we pass and fail at everything we do.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grading in subjects that are either right or wrong (math, science, etc.) makes good sense imho. Writing and other more subjectively graded subjects are not so important to grade - those are more a matter of rewriting over and over until they start looking good.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frogguruami wrote:
There isn't an option for never. We don't grade anything because we work on something until mastery is achieved so all grades would be 100%. We also don't test so there is nothing to grade.

Ditto

Ramona
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *correct* things, but I don't grade them. When the dc are little, they just need to learn stuff; they don't need stuff graded.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only give official grades on tests, quizzes, reports, projects, ect. The homework and classwork is just corrected and they get points for doing it. If they have mastered the work, as they should have after correcting and reviewing, then they will get good marks on their tests and so forth. If they didn't master it then they will get a poor mark. That is how life is so that is how their school is. Plus this way if they decide to go to college they will be prepared. Just because you didn't get it doesn't mean that the professor is going to hold off on testing. You either know it or you don't.
sunnie_skys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant vote in the poll since I dont "grade" his work. If i graded him he may as well go to the PS to learn to fail or to be average or heaven forbid he just passes other people by with A's or B's then he is a nerd because he is so smart. Nope, never...we go over it until its mastered. Isn't that why we HS our kids?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: I didn't vote... Reply with quote

I just wanted to throw this out for y'all to consider.

Many of don't think we need to grade because we go over things until our dc "master" them.

However, at some point it becomes important for the dc to understand that when they turn in a test or a paper or a whatever, the grade they get is the grade they get. IOW, there's no doing it over.

If they ever go to school, there will be no mercy. If they go to college, there will be no mercy. When the teachers give assignments, they will grade whatever is turned in, just the way it is, and the children won't get the opportunity to do it over until they get it right.

Some dc don't have any problems adjusting to this, but I have known of some who did. It was a harder adjustment than it need to be.

Just a thought. Smile
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't vote... Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
If they go to college, there will be no mercy. When the teachers give assignments, they will grade whatever is turned in, just the way it is, and the children won't get the opportunity to do it over until they get it right.

That has not been my nor my son's experience.

Most courses offered at my university could be taken over again as many times as you wished and the last grade you got in it was the one that counted.

Many of my professors were willing to re-grade any homework that you turned in again. My son's instructors at community college now are also willing to do that.

As far as tests that can only be done once, it's like a competition, a game, a sport. The final score is final. These things can be explained to kids. Especially by the time they get to college, they ought to be well-educated enough to be able to understand and process the concept, and deal with it appropriately when it comes up.

Smile

Ramona
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think grading is important. Kids should learn that they must prepare for things in life and sometimes get one shot at something. If they didn't prepare properly then they may not do as well as they would hope to do. I think its an important less that they should learn.

I also think that students should grade themselves and evaluate themselves at times. I often have my students grade themselves on an assignment before they turn it in. It forces them to look critically at their work and decide whether or not they gave it their best effort and met the expectations we discussed at the beginning of the assignment. Often times kids will give themselves a score that is lower than what they would like so they make improvements and then hand in the final copy that I will grade. It's a great learning tool.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't vote... Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
elliemaejune wrote:
If they go to college, there will be no mercy. When the teachers give assignments, they will grade whatever is turned in, just the way it is, and the children won't get the opportunity to do it over until they get it right.

That has not been my nor my son's experience.

Many of my professors were willing to re-grade any homework that you turned in again. My son's instructors at community college now are also willing to do that.

Ramona

Even when I took college courses, about 14 years ago, most of my teachers allowed us to resubmit our work for a higher grade.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At young ages I do not feel the need to stress grades but in certain areas such as math, grades help. They are more for me than my child or student. I need to know where they are having issues. When turning in quarterly reports here we are supposed to put down some sort of grade, for young kids I feel that satisfactory, outstanding, needs improvement or unsatisfactory tell the story. Now I do not see why a homeschool student would ever get unsatisfactory unless they just do not try but I see that more at the high school ages than in elementary ages. For me grades are like stadardized test, they are tools to help the teacher see what the student has learned and where they as teachers need to go from there.
Miguelsmommy
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea when I will start grading things probably in high school for his transcripts.
kjsmom72803
User

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started hs- but what I have been doing is keeping track of hoe he is doin on his school work, flashcards and reading. My DS is only in 5K. Just for my own sake to know hen he has truely mastered something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: