Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unit Studies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juloyes
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Unit Studies Reply with quote

I'm thinking of jumping into unit studies, using Konos. I live in a remote location, with not the best library and a walmart one hour away, so I'm a bit nervous about the supply side of it. We have inter-library loan available, but you never know when they'll show up, the the library nazi is always bugging you to return them! Anyway, I have two boys, 8 & 4 1/2, and an 8 month old little girl.

I like the lesson plans in Konos, but sometimes find all the symbols and outlines a bit overwhelming.

The authors suggest spending the morning doing reading, writing, and arithmetic, so here's our plan for the morning:

Suffer Little Children Book 1 (Covenant Home Curriculum) Bible with Dad
Spelling Workout (book D)
A Reason for Handwriting (my 8 yo boy LOVES cursive)
Abeka Language Third Grade
Abeka Math (actually in the afternoon with dad, he's a pastor with some flexibility to help me)
Writing from the Unit Study
Reading from the Unit Study

My deal is I LOVE Story of the World. We're in book 2, the middle ages, and I bought the audio CD set and we listen to one chapter a week. I'd like to continue with it and do Konos, but do you think that'd be too much?

We're going to start here soon with the Attentiveness unit study of Konos. I just feel like I need to get all my stuff first from the library and amazon.com
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don't forget the web for resources. Smile
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it worked better for me to have two days a week of KONOS activities, with the others being done the other three days. Doing everything every day made me a crazy woman Smile

The library books suggested for each unit are just that: suggestions. Ninety percent (I just picked a random percentage, lol, but it's true nevertheless) of the activities are contained right there in that volume of KONOS. If you don't have time to go to the library, don't choose an activity that is dependent on a library book. If you don't read any of those books at all, your dc won't miss a thing. If you can't find a specific book, use another one on the same subject. It will be fine.

I also have to say that I usually recommend that people toss those lesson plans. You don't need 'em. Here's what I recommend:

Take your big ol' book to Kinko's or other similar place and have the spine cut off (only costs a few dollars). Remove the lesson plans. Have the rest of the book drilled for three holes, so it will fit in a big ol' three-ring notebook. Take out the character trait you're working on and put it in a smaller notebook until you're finished. Put it back and take out the next one. This will SO make your life easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: