HELP!! Do I HS my VERY LONELY daughter next year??

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

janw1256
User

Postby janw1256 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:41 am

Yes, I see where you guys are coming from. But, why do kids need to be polite? Kids are KIDS not adults! Kids are not supposed to be polite all the time! Yes, kids are mean to their parents, yes kids can act like jerks, but the last time I checked, this is what being a kid is all about. Think back to your childhood - were you always polite? When you were having fun, were you always nice and respectful? Kids are kids b/c they are not always nice and they have to be taught how to act appropriately.
I know that there are teachers that are incapable of this and see the value in a parent teaching the child, but still think kids need time to be with other kids, so that they can be kids!

And after thinking about this, I really do think kids should be polite. But, I do not think that being with your peers is going to make you unpolite. Yes, some kids that go to school are unpolite, but so are some kids that are homeschooled. In fact, the friends I had that went to public school were much more humble and polite than my homeschool friends and I considered my best friend to be someone who went to a public school.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:33 pm

Kids are supposed to be polite, precisely to learn while they are kids, how to function in the adult world. That's regardless of what kind of schooling they get.

Kids should have time to play with or hang out with other kids. Regardless of what kind of schooling they get.

That does NOT mean being a kid is all about being impolite and mean. I'd never agree to that.

However public school in my experience does foster unhealthy competition which results in name calling and hostility.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”