Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fat - Free

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Fat - Free Reply with quote

Mayonnaise
When I was a kid, my father insisted that my mother use only Hellmann’s mayo. Dad worked long, hard hours, but it was a little too pricey for their budget. My mom tried to trick my father’s taste buds by swapping cheaper mayo into the Hellmann’s jar. She was found out. Anyway, I have never changed brands. Although, I recently switched to “reduced fat” instead of the “regular.” It’s tastes close enough. No one here has complained. Nutrition information: 20 calories, 1 gr fat, 1 gr carbo
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the whole fat-free industry a bit of a scam? A study was done to test whether eating fat-free foods actually helps you lose weight, and it turned out that the people eating fat free showed no difference from the people not eating fat-free. And fat-free usually means more expensive and not quite so good-tasting.

Of course, you don't want to eat buckets of mayo, but enough to lubricate your bread isn't going to kill you either.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about mayonnaise, because it has always tasted too eggy for me so I only use Miracle Whip, but I read that the Light and Fat-Free types of Miracle Whip contain ingredients that many people are allergic or sensitive to. I don't even use Miracle Whip often, but usually just butter.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, that too. Artificial sugars and fats and so on are often hard for people to digest, even if they aren't allergic to them.
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I'm sure you know of stories of grandparents who ate all fat and lived into their nineties. My grandfather who worked in a lithograph office in Baltimore in the 1930's and 40's. He used to eat lard sandwiches and smoked cigars everyday. Although, vegetables, fruits and healthy starches were a large part of his diet. He died at the age of 93. My husband's grandfather lived in Appalachia as a young man and later in Berea, KY. He worked in the coal mines and saw mills. He ate all that Southern fried food including 3 eggs a day, fried chicken, pork belly, home-grown vegetables, fruits, and healthy starches. He died in 1994 at 97 years old.

There were no fat-free ready-to-eat products. Neither was there an isle in the grocery devoted to potato chips and other fried, vitamin deficient, starchy snacks. I wonder what they ate for snacks? My mom said that her parents and most others could not afford to make or buy cakes, cookies, pies, ice cream, and candy. These were a luxury and were bought by the piece, not by the package. Mom said that obese people were an anomally. Not everyone had cars and many walked. (1930's - 1950's)

I don't think anyone can miss the spiraling rate of obesity?

Cutting back on saturated fats and increasing unsaturated fats is heart healthy. I don't usually eat chicken skin (I'm outnumbered, the men in my house do.), cut extra fat off steak, (Some fat is needed for flavor.), and rarely eat fast food (outnumbered again.) I am not a fan of most fat-free foods. If I can help it, I don't drink skim milk, nor eat fat-free salad dressings, and butter substitutes (might as well eat the bread dry.) Some reduced fat and some lite foods taste good and you can't taste the difference from the fat foods. For some, medical history dictates the need for either some kind of fat or very little saturated fats. You have to watch it, though. In many cases, in order to make a product fat-free, sugar is added or some other ingredient to mimic the taste. Sugar vs. Fat.
It goes back to the same practice. Eat in moderation. Portion control. I can say that until it comes to ice cream.
Eating healthy servings of unsaturated fats: fish, nuts, seeds, olives, vegetable oils, etc... are heart healthy and the fat helps to make you feel full longer. A little too much sugar makes me hungry for more sugar, so I try to limit sugar intake.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sugar increases bacteria growth in your mouth, and an unhealthy mouth is an unhealthy person Smile Salt also has to be used carefully, since too much puts strain on your heart. Fats though? As long as they're naturally occuring fats, they probably won't do much of anything to you. I personally do cut off most of the fat on meat, just because I don't ike the squishy texture, but I'm not going to worry about the fat I do eat. Worry kills you too.

Fast food is of course about the worst thing you can eat (too much salt, full of artificial substances, etc.) but as long as you only eat it once in a while and give your body time to flush in between, I doubt it'll hurt much.

I hear that a little red wine every day prevents aging and extends your life span. Anti-cancer agents or something.
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has heart trouble. His doctor recommended that he drink 1 glass of red wine every evening. He's still kicking, ticking whatever.
I read that grape juice has the same effect. Who knows?
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's not the alcohol that helps, it's something in the grape juice. I suppose grape juice will work equally well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: