Lapbooking or Notebooking???

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Rhodes Family
User

Lapbooking or Notebooking???

Postby Rhodes Family » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:34 pm

This is our 2nd year homeschooling our special needs 3rd grader. We are eclectic in our approach to learning. Last year we did our first lapbook and my son really loved it. I decided we would do more Lapbooking and Notebooking combined with our Unit Studies this year. Does anyone else do this? Do anyone have any ideas as to how to make it interesting?

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:50 am

We like lapbooking too. I have a 5th grader and a second grader.
For the 5th grader last year we made lapbooks on Triops, a few different countries (we are in Europe), sharks, and an author (his favourite books) Geronimo Stilton.
The second grader did dogs, the human body and pirates.

We did a lot of history with the Triops and of course we have some Triops in the house, we still have them right now.
The countries give a lot of geografy and history.

We make the lapbooks ourselves, no pre-made printouts, we look things up on the internet and in librarybooks and make little pictures or summeries about the things we find.

For this year I found out about Mini Offices, which is similar to lapbooking and we are going to start our Mini Office for this year next week.

Hope this helps you.
Elei.

Rhodes Family
User

Postby Rhodes Family » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:18 am

That sounds great Elei. You guys have been busy. We made some mini offices last year. I have some lapbooks we did so far posted here and here.

janaleigh
User

Postby janaleigh » Wed May 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Here is a fun site for lapbooking http://www.lapbookladies.com/
and here are some free lap book printables http://www.guesthollow.com/
Jana marriend to Mike 20 Years
2 Sons, ages 15 and 17
Homeschooling 7+ years
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
http://www.summerhouseliving.com

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Sat May 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Wow, I had never heard of lapbooking, but now I am dying to give it a try. It looks like sooo much fun.

I gues I'll have to let DD and DS have a go too :wink:
Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

Rhodes Family
User

Postby Rhodes Family » Sun May 31, 2009 1:34 pm

We're on a 2 month break then we'll start back up in Aug. for our 3rd year. My son still loves to do lapbooks and we combined it with notebooking this year. It is great to help him retain what he's learning with him being an Aspie.

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:21 am

My dd and I are doing a summer long weather observation station and using a notebook to write down data we collect, the weather forecast, and our observations on the weather outside.

Rhodes Family
User

Postby Rhodes Family » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:16 am

kgianforti wrote:My dd and I are doing a summer long weather observation station and using a notebook to write down data we collect, the weather forecast, and our observations on the weather outside.

Wow...will you be posting it on a blog? My son loves talking about the weather :D .

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:36 pm

I never thought about a blog! To be honest, I probably would have a hard time keeping up with it!! But thanks for the thought!

Actually, I contacted a local meteorologist a couple of weeks ago about a tour of his weather center and he just emailed back to set up a tour! And we will get to watch the live 5pm forecast! She's only 3 (just turned) but I think she will get a big kick out of it especially when she sees him in person. He's who we watch for our forecasts!

Rhodes Family
User

Postby Rhodes Family » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:43 pm

kgianforti wrote:She's only 3 (just turned)

Have you heard of 1+1+1=1 tot school? She shares all kinds of great ideas to do with the little ones.

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Rhodes Family wrote:
kgianforti wrote:She's only 3 (just turned)

Have you heard of 1+1+1=1 tot school? She shares all kinds of great ideas to do with the little ones.

I looked at it and that Noah's Ark shape sorter looks awesome and it's currently UNAVAILABLE!! Thanks for the link!

austinstrickland
User

Postby austinstrickland » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks for the links to the Lap Booking site. I never heard it before.

Rhodes Family
User

Postby Rhodes Family » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:12 pm

austinstrickland wrote:Thanks for the links to the Lap Booking site. I never heard it before.

Here are some others just in case others haven't heard of them:
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/index_la ... r_list.php
http://www.homeschoolhelperonline.com/lapbooks.htm

sarahfonto
User

Re: Lapbooking or Notebooking???

Postby sarahfonto » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:59 am

Rhodes Family wrote:This is our 2nd year homeschooling our special needs 3rd grader. We are eclectic in our approach to learning. Last year we did our first lapbook and my son really loved it. I decided we would do more Lapbooking and Notebooking combined with our Unit Studies this year. Does anyone else do this? Do anyone have any ideas as to how to make it interesting?

I am a recent convert after watching some of the tutorials on you-tube. such a convert that within four weeks not only was I using them in home education (just simple ones so far with my son) every single last one of my individual students had their course converted to lapbooks for the organizational instrument.

Five of those students are adults, two are studying for the BEC Vantage, the rest are kids. The versatility of the format is astounding.

I include a hefty proportion of simple games in mine. Little envelope containing cut up bits of card for matching activities mainly but also fold out gameboards (snakes and ladders etc) with topic specific questions.

I try and avoid too many static "info only" minibooks, I've found the more the student interacts with the content the better the retention and motivation seems to be.

One of my students should be back from her holiday next week so I will swipe hers for the weekend and you-tube a guide to what I mean if you like me "get" things better by seeing it rather than reading about it. I discounted lapbooks as an option after I read about them, I just wasn't really getting it from the description, but after I saw what they meant in the videos I was hooked and spent a whole night up feverishly cutting and sticking while my imagination ran away with me LOL.

lovetobehome
User

Postby lovetobehome » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm new to this forum, but was happy to find other lapbook lovers! Currclick is another site that has been helpful to me.

They provide lapbook printouts and notebook pages for sale, as well as free downloads. In their "free stuff" area there is a download called "A Rose by Any other Name" that is full of websites for lapbooking ideas.

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”