Should we be "laying low" in homeschooling?

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

seekingmyLord
User

Should we be "laying low" in homeschooling?

Postby seekingmyLord » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:10 am

This is a spin-off from another thread. I was thinking of how many times I have heard other homeschoolers say that we should "lay low" and not try to change laws in our state for fear of more restrictions and regulations on homeschooling. It seems that some of the homeschoolers I know actually resent others who would try to get laws changed for less or even no regulation because they fear a whiplash.

How do you feel about it?

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:16 pm

elliemaejune
User

Re: Should we be "laying low" in homeschooling?

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:11 pm

ncmom
User

Re: Should we be "laying low" in homeschooling?

Postby ncmom » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:20 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:22 am

In my own county in GA, the Superintendent requested that we send our Letter of Intent and our monthly attendance reports to someone at a particular school, while the state law clearly state that we are to send them to the Superintendent. Some homeschoolers here have gotten into some...uh, heated discussions between the law and being "cooperative."

This year the county changed its policy and asked that we put Attn: Home Education on the envelop addressed to the Superintendent. I suppose everyone is happy now.

Personally, I am a law person, but that doesn't mean I particularly like the current law.

I do know a rather influential homeschool leader who is planning to propose a change in the law so attendance records need not be sent monthly. This seems to make some of the homeschoolers I know quite uneasy fearing the whiplash effect.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:30 am

Homeschoolers are one of the strongest lobbying forces in the nation. Cooperate with the letter of the law at all times - but give as little information to the gov't as you can get away with, and feel free to lobby for changes. Homeschoolers have as much right to the democratic process as anyone else, and what's right is still right even if you're outnumbered.

Imagine the mayhem we can unleash if we put all our debating powers on the same side! :)

Return to “Homeschool Law”