Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we be "laying low" in homeschooling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Should we be "laying low" in homeschooling? Reply with quote

This is a spin-off from another thread. I was thinking of how many times I have heard other homeschoolers say that we should "lay low" and not try to change laws in our state for fear of more restrictions and regulations on homeschooling. It seems that some of the homeschoolers I know actually resent others who would try to get laws changed for less or even no regulation because they fear a whiplash.

How do you feel about it?
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be able to change the laws to make my state have no restrictions or regulations but I am probably in the minority here. I am also however not quite with my opinions and no my rights. I will not let anyone step on my rights. I have even challenged lawmakers to explain certain things to me that I felt were stepping on my rights. So far they have all stumbled over their answers and have been unable to give a logical coherent answer to any of my questions. HMMM stumped a professional politician. I don't care if it is a public forum or privately if I see or hear something that I feel is an infringement on me I will say something.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Should we be "laying low" in homeschooling? Reply with quote

seekingmyLord wrote:
This is a spin-off from another thread. I was thinking of how many times I have heard other homeschoolers say that we should "lay low" and not try to change laws in our state for fear of more restrictions and regulations on homeschooling. It seems that some of the homeschoolers I know actually resent others who would try to get laws changed for less or even no regulation because they fear a whiplash.

How do you feel about it?

I've never heard anyone refer to "laying low" when talking about whether or not to try to change the laws in any state for fear of more restrictions, nor have I heard of anyone fearing "whiplash." I know that HSLDA does recommend that in some states, such as California, but I also know that HSLDA has worked with hsers in some states to change the law.

I'm not sure that we should instigate legislature, but certainly, if the lawmakers are considering making changes, we should get involved.

I have, however, heard of hsers who comply with school officials' requests for more acountability than is required by law for fear of whiplash; North Carolina is infamous for this. I think it is wrongminded to do so.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Should we be "laying low" in homeschooling? Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:

I have, however, heard of hsers who comply with school officials' requests for more acountability than is required by law for fear of whiplash; North Carolina is infamous for this. I think it is wrongminded to do so.

I live in NC and they do try to get you to come to them to do "voluntary" inspections and always want you to bring more info than is required by law. I got a notice this year. I marked NO I wouldn't like to do this. If they want to see my stuff they can use their gas and come to me. The best part is the only thing they have the right to ask for is my test scores from last year and I can make them review these out on the porch. They don't even have the right to come in my house if I don't want to let them in. I am not volunteering anything to anyone that I don't have to give them. Unfortunately a lot of HS parents in NC do these "Voluntary" inspections because they don't know their rights or the laws (especially those moving in from other states) and are afraid of what the state will do to them. In fact I know some parents that just automatically send in their test scores and other documents so the state won't bother them. So as long as parents continue to do this voluntarily then the state will continue using this tactic.
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my own county in GA, the Superintendent requested that we send our Letter of Intent and our monthly attendance reports to someone at a particular school, while the state law clearly state that we are to send them to the Superintendent. Some homeschoolers here have gotten into some...uh, heated discussions between the law and being "cooperative."

This year the county changed its policy and asked that we put Attn: Home Education on the envelop addressed to the Superintendent. I suppose everyone is happy now.

Personally, I am a law person, but that doesn't mean I particularly like the current law.

I do know a rather influential homeschool leader who is planning to propose a change in the law so attendance records need not be sent monthly. This seems to make some of the homeschoolers I know quite uneasy fearing the whiplash effect.
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschoolers are one of the strongest lobbying forces in the nation. Cooperate with the letter of the law at all times - but give as little information to the gov't as you can get away with, and feel free to lobby for changes. Homeschoolers have as much right to the democratic process as anyone else, and what's right is still right even if you're outnumbered.

Imagine the mayhem we can unleash if we put all our debating powers on the same side! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: