Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our school Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurabeth
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Our school Day Reply with quote

After reading about others days I feel like a bit of a slave driver, but here goes...

Alarm goes of about 8:45, up by 9:00. My dd (almost 7 in 1st grade) makes breakfast for her and her brother (4) (she loves this most lol) and I sit down with my toast and wake up.

About 9:45 I am getting everything out for reading and writing for my dd, and get things set up for my son.

About 10:00 we start, some days I get my dd started and then my ds, sometimes the other way around depending on what dd is starting with that day. Her reading and writing is intertwined so it depends where we leave off the day before. My ds spends about 1/2 hr doing his pages unless he wants to stop sooner, most of his table work is by his choice. My dd usually spends about 1-1 1/2 hr doing a combination of reading to/with me, handwriting, copy work, phonics etc. She seems to do fine with this amount of time but we stop by the 1 1/2 mark no matter where we are and go back later if needed.

11:15-11:30 ish dd breaks while I prep Math, for 10-15 min
Then we do Math for 30 - 45 min, right now we do 2 lessons a day because it is so simple, all review, but will go to one when we start progressing. My ds does the Oral part of the Math with us, and soes more basic written as he doesn't yet have the dexterity to write it even though he "gets" it.

12:00 ish - 1:00 ish we break for lunch and recess. With the heat they have been spending it inside and are usually itching to go back to school by 12:30 lol

1:00 is we move on to Science for as long as we choose to spend on the lesson, some days 20 min some an hour doing all kinds of things from bookwork to experiments, discussions to reading books.

Whenever we are done with science we move to social studies (if we aren't burnt out, if we are we do SS first the next day or do SS in the eve) usually for about 30 min.

On days that we want to do more we sit on the couch right after SS and read together for fun or more "on topic".

After dinner they both do a page of "home work" from Math

Whew now I feel like even more of a slave driver!
I am actually quite flexible with our days, if its just to much then we slow down or break or quit for the day, but at this point they both want to work like this, they are anxious to begin in the am before I am and don't care to stop until I make them. My daughter asked for the home work so I give it. I feel like as the year moves on they will both need to slow down and take more breaks but I am taking advantage of there want right now for as long as they have it.
my3boyshomeschool
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Laurabeth I think I am more of a slave driver than you. LOL- who were you comparing yourself to?

I wake up at 6:45ish and wake up the boys at 7:15. They get up, have breakfast and get dressed so we can start school at 8:00. We start out with our "Devotional for Boys" and then they do their bible study. After that they can do their other subjects in whatever order they want. We have lunch about Noon and then get right back to work. If we don't have too many interruptions we are done by 3:00.

11 yo ds does daily, unless otherwise noted:
Bible
Math
Spelling (3 days week)
Grammar
Writing
Reading
Science
Health (3 days week)
U.S. History

16 yo ds does daily:
Bible
Chemistry
Latin 1
U.S. History
English 11 (includes American Literature, Grammar, Spelling, Vocabulary and Composition)
Drivers Ed
Speech Communication (local college class- once a week but has work daily)
He isn't doing a math right now because he will eventually take college algebra at the community college.

Am I too mean? LOL Very Happy
laurabeth
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No your not mean! I was comparing schedules of people with children that were younger more than in general, but my kids seem to be happy with it so I guess thats all that matters right. Smile
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of you are slave drivers! Very Happy

As long as the kids are all right with the schedules, nothing's wrong! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: