Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Someone from TN?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Someone from TN? Reply with quote

Sorry to post on this AGAIN, but it is looking like more of a possibility that we could move to Tennessee. Sad In the posts asking which states are difficult to homeschool in I notice no one ever mentions TN. To me it looks pretty confusing.

Is there anyone here who lives in TN and homeschools (highschool), uses their own curriculum, and doesn't have a BA? I wouldn't want to do the umbrella church school thing because I want to choose my own curriculm. Which option gives you some freedom? It looks very restrictive and hideous to me. Confused

The only other way I can see would be to use the A Beka DVD program where they keep records. Would that count as a "satellite" school?

Thanks to anyone willing to explain it SLOWLY to me!! Wink

Calleigh
Kitty-Cat
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am totally NOT from TN lol, I'm from Australia. However I use a TN umbrella school. If you are Christian, this school is super easy to use. but is totally a legit school. I looked a long time to find an umbrella that was suitable (could not find one like that over here) took internationals, was cheap with no sticky beaking.
Quote:

I wouldn't want to do the umbrella church school thing because I want to choose my own curriculm.

They encourage people to use there own curriculum. All they need is for you to list some things you will use or think you may use. Really they are totally cool with unschooling too but they do have to work with some privet school laws. They have an online attendance chart which you need to show 180 days on. Again this is for them to fulfil privet school laws and is not them checking on you. If you unschool they have no worries about you just marking of those 180 days as attendance. twice a year you have to report grades. Again no testing, it's just you putting down how you think Johnny is doing as they need this to fulfil there laws.
heres the link- http://www.homelifeacademy.com/
Lol I just realized how many times I used totally in this post! Laughing
memmerrill
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't currently live in TN, but lived there for 20 years, up until last summer. My friends there who homeschool use an umbrella school that allows them to choose their own curriculum. Sounds funny, but that was how it worked. I think they must know that there are homeschooling parents out there who don't have bachelor's and still want the freedom of choosing their own curriculum under the shelter of an umbrella school. Anyway, the umbrella they used was called Gateway Christian Schools, is located in Memphis and here's the website: http://www.gatewaychristianschools.com/

I knew lots of families in the Memphis area who used this school successfully.

Here's the section of their website that deals with homeschooling: http://www.gatewaychristianschools.com/gatewaychristianschools_004.htm

Best wishes!
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, now I don't feel as overwhelmed. I'll go look into the two that you guys gave me. And if we don't move there, I'll know more than I ever would have thought I could about the fine state of Tennessee!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: