Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you all do for spelling? I need 3rd grade.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maherwoman
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is pretty simple...

I searched for spelling lists online, and found this site:
http://www.ecarter.k12.mo.us/dept/elementary/

We're using a fourth grade spelling list (because my daughter's in the fourth grade), but they also list other grades' teachers and what their spelling lists are.

Here are one of the teacher's third grade spelling lists for the year, and she even lists out the stories that they go along with (I don't know if you can find them online somewhere, or if the stories come from a book, but I found that helpful to at least give me a list of words). I've found this particular school's site to be a wealth of information for a few other sites, too (such as science, math, etc.)...so browse around and see what you find! Smile

As far as a lesson plan (and this is what she did last year, too), I have my DD write out the list of words (which I write on the board for her to copy down). We then go through each one. She tells me what form of word it is (noun, verb, etc.), and we write down the definition(s) she wants to use for that word (since most words have more than one definition, we go through them all and she chooses).

She then takes it day by day, and writes down each word five times and a sentence for each. Right now, she's got 20 words a week, so she does four words each day M-Th, and then has a Spelling Test on Friday.

I also found a great site you can create a Word Search puzzle on:
http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com/WordSearchSetupForm.asp

You can make other fun stuff on there, too...another great site to browse.

Hope all that helps! Smile
Sheryl
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's really fun spelling games I ordered from Amazon. Both are top rated among all their toys and games category:

Scrabble Slam Cards (8 years and up)
Bananagrams (7 years and up)

You'll have fun playing with them to!

Also, they are good travel games due to their compactness.
________
E23

Last edited by Sheryl on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
karengstafford
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our pick is Spelling Power. We used it for all five kids.
lisakinter
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use word lists generated from our lessons and an old Zaner Blose Workbook that I got for $.25 for general vocabulary and spelling.

We use the one for a grade above. I use [url]SpellingCity.com[/url] (also free) and have posted all the words on there. The tests are automated and we use their activities only for the words that we didn't get right the first time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: