Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assistance in an address to many.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genida
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Assistance in an address to many. Reply with quote

Hello, everyone Smile

[First, I suppose, I am new here, so forgive my initial enthusiasm. By mere glance I've seen plenty of threads I'll be greatly intrigued to read through and learn from. I have just recently found out that learning, per se, can be enjoyable.]

I live in Sweden and the concept of homeschooling/unschooling and public schooling as indoctrination with all its negative impact and so forth, is widely unheard of here. Books have been written, apparently, though if there's been a debate it's certainly cooled off to the point of non-existance.

Recently, though, I had an idea. Most schools in the entire country list their staff, and their email adresses. I'm in the process of collecting as many of these as I can.

To the point, then, I'm looking for help, ideas, people willing to work with me on what I should write to them. I will write them, and I want to do so en masse.... everyone at once, preferably when I've gathered several thousands or hopefully tens of thousands of emails. I want them to know, but what is the best way to say it?

A quick draft of it, in my opinion, would include introductions to the historical facts, as told by Gatto and, I think, Toffler. A great number of facts and references would be of primary concern, seeing as the knee jerk reaction of many teachers would be to ignore all this.
I suppose it should be easily read, quick to the points and as indestructible in fact as can be summed together.

So, please, if you would, any ideas?

/Gen.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly confused about what your intentions and questions are.
genida
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha!

I probably deserve that Smile

Righty then.
1) I want to write a letter, introducing the fact that school is bad for you
and 2) I'll be sending this to as many people as possible, simultaneously.

Plus, 3) Considering how people usually reacts, I need it to be covered in facts, checkable facts.

/Gen.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have trouble with that. IMO school is not inherently bad at all. It's how school is implemented and what school becomes that is sometimes bad for some.

What do you hope to accomplish with this?

If you were a school administrator who got a letter saying school was bad would it have any possibility of changing your own views about school for you? I think many who work in school systems are doing their best within the guidelines they must follow.

If they feel they are working hard for a good cause, I don't think a letter saying all school is bad is going to change what is in their minds and hearts no matter how well it is backed by "facts."

If they don't care anymore I do see them listening to that POV either.

I'm still not sure what your end goal is.
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellarStory wrote:
What do you hope to accomplish with this?

I'm still not sure what your end goal is.

This was the question going through my mind as well.

Genida, if you are stating school is bad as a way to promote homeschooling... Confused I think it would be a better to take the positive approach by simply showing facts regarding its benefits.

Personally, I prefer a more subtle approach--inviting people to observe a group of homeschooled children, but we each have our own ways....
genida
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschooling seems to be extremely rare in Sweden, as it is. Though calling school 'bad' might seem harsh I'm aiming primarily to inform a large segment of that industry of other ways of seeing things.

My aim, if any, would be to cause some form of interest and debate in what seems to be an up and coming school reform in this country. If only to tell them of public schools creation, history and intent and perhaps spark some sort of curiosity.

I'm aware that school as a national kindergarten for our children will probably be a mainstay institution for quite some time. However, with the increasing debate over grades, results, poor behavior, violence and lack of ambition it would be nice to see the homeschooling/unschooling arguments thrown in there for good - very good - measure. (with regards to grades, for instance, Alfie Kohn's 'Punished by Rewards'...)

The few teachers I've actually been in contact with, mainly my own from years back, had absolutely no idea of school's history, nor even the viewpoints of it's effects(those John Holt and the Moore Foundation have pointed out vividly).

Personally I think it's sad and painful to see it in effect(not only recalling it's effects on me), when I meet kids at nineteen, having graduated, or of course younger than that.
A large majority of them without any motivation, ambition, natural drive for learning, interest or even awareness that this is enjoyable. Not to mention the arrogance, disrespect and 'I know it all already' attitudes...

Perhaps I'm coming off too strong, but that's just me. I would like to inform the faculty of my country, however.

/Gen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: