Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New with lots of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heatherly30
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: New with lots of questions Reply with quote

Hi Ladies!
I am so happy to find you. My name is Heather, I am 30 y.o. and momma to Samuel (3) and Abigail (1). I am a former elementary school teacher, but when it comes to instructing my preschool age child, I feel totally lost. He is actually starting a preschool 2 half days per week in September, but I would like to begin some structured activities with him now, and then carry over these activities when he begins in a few months.

I have searched the internet over, and there is TONS out there. What would you all suggest. Consider me lazy, but I want something that will tell me what to do each day, so that I don't have to do much planning. Is there such thing? Anything like this that is free?

If anyone can give me some ideas on how to start, I would be grateful!

Thanks!
Lily
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.letteroftheweek.com It has a few different curriculum guides.

At this age, though, exploration is the key. I prefer to go more of a Montessori route with books like Teach Me To Do It Myself! and activities that are self-starting and self-correcting.

You also might like Before Five In A Row. Check your library to see what they have in the way of preschool activities and development books.
heatherly30
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME...exactly what I was looking for!
amird
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: let the kids be kids Reply with quote

why not letting the kids be kids?
why not let them learn what and when they want?
let them still enjoy the best way of learning
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily wrote:
Check out www.letteroftheweek.com It has a few different curriculum guides.

At this age, though, exploration is the key. I prefer to go more of a Montessori route with books like Teach Me To Do It Myself! and activities that are self-starting and self-correcting.

You also might like Before Five In A Row. Check your library to see what they have in the way of preschool activities and development books.

This looks great! I like that site.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: let the kids be kids Reply with quote

amird wrote:
why not letting the kids be kids?
why not let them learn what and when they want?
let them still enjoy the best way of learning

That's a great rule of thumb especially in the early ages. Expose them to learning but don't push them if they are not ready.
elijah310
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started using a curriculum from mothergoosetime.com which I absolutely love. I have a 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old. I am also a teacher now stay at home mom. I am actually not a big advocate of preschool believing that lots of reading and experiences is adequate. THis worked great for my 18 year old son but my 3 1/2 year old just isn't following that trend. Anyway, I decided to do something more formal and after much searching came across this. We have done it for a month and both of my boys beg for "Classroom, Mommy". It is so awesome. It has lots of hands-on projects. Aside from basic supplies (crayons, paints, scissors, ...) they provide everything and organize it by day. The only thing I do is add extra stories that correlate with the theme. You should really check it out!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awesome! If you and your boys are happy that's what matters!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: