Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notice of intent in Tennessee?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandi
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Notice of intent in Tennessee? Reply with quote

I'd really appreciate some words of wisdom here! Please bear with me this may be long. I'm in Tennessee and have chosen option 3 (my home will be considered a satellite campus of a church related school.) So under Tennesse law, we are not considered homeschoolers, but private school students.

Here is my situation:
Our state deadline for a homeschool registration is August 1 IF (and ONLY IF ) you are registering with the state which we are not.

To make sure they were not expecting my children on the first day of school, I submitted a letter to the public school principal on July 24, stating that effective immediately my children were being transferred to another school and I included our crs's name. 9 days after public school started, my crs requested my children's transcripts. It was then that I found out that the principal never turned my letter in to the records department. They had been counting my children absent. I told the records clerk that I submitted a letter to the principal and she told me that the letter did not mean anything, they could not change a child's enrollment status just on a parent's request. There IS NO registration deadline in Tennessee if you choose option 3. I simply sent the letter so my children would not be counted absent. I have read the law backwards and forwards and cannot find anything that specifically addresses this. I'd really appreciate your help!
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to me that the CRS should be the one to handle it.

Here is some info I got at http://tnhomeed.com/CRSHS.html

Quote:
Withdrawing from School

Usually, when you enroll your child in a new school the new school requests your child's records from the old school. This serves as a notice. However, if you're at all anxious about whether this normal procedure will be done before the old school begins and they will be expecting your child, here is my suggestion to avoid truancy issues. (You should check with your church-related school for their advice on how to deal with notifying the previous school.)

After registering with your chosen church-related school write a formal letter to the school stating that you are transferring "Suzy Jones" to ABC School. Include the new school's contact information. I suggest hand carrying it to the office and noting on your copy of the letter the date, time and the name of the person that accepts the letter.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a good idea to keep evidence that you've delivered your withdrawl. Sometimes the withdrawl mysteriously disappears.
Mandi
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. The school did find my letter. The principal had it in his office, he just never botherd to give it to the records clerk! I contacted my crs and they assured me I did nothing wrong. They told me to have the school contact them if they have any questions.
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad! Thank you for letting us know. I like to keep track of how the homeschool laws work in application in all the states.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: