Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So when I graduate..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
I don't see the advantage in not taking the ACT or SAT

I'm not necessarily saying there's an advantage in not taking one or both. I'm simply saying it isn't absolutely necessary to do so. I think people who come to this forum need to be aware of what their options are. Getting more education after 12th grade without taking those standardized tests is an option.

But as for advantages, one reason some families turn to homeschooling is because their kids have test anxiety and they want to save the kids from having to take tests--sometimes especially standardized tests.

I'm surprised that people here this year don't seem to be aware of this. 10-15 years ago when I was first looking into homeschooling, it was one of the big reasons people were leaving the public schools!

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the stress comes with having your scores compared with those of your fellow students, however - and the ACT, SAT, CLEP tests, etc. don't have that problem, since all you get is a score and a national ranking. There are also plenty of materials for test prep, and being well-prepared always reduces stress.

In any case, college courses generally involve quite a bit of testing, so if tests stress you out, you need to practice taking them. Test-taking stress mostly stems from lack of self-confidence, and even a year or two of homeschooling gives you time to improve your education and build that self-confidence back.

On a personal note, I often felt I was going to do badly on a test, then I completed it in 2/3 the required time and scored 90% or better. A small case of nerves isn't necessarily fatal, so long as you studied hard.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about working on test stress. That's been one of my goals with my son since we started home school at the end of his fourth grade year.

I had him take a standardized prep test every Friday when we first started out. I did that so he would get over his fear of testing and find out he was capable.

Years ago I started having both my kids do the SAT question of the day each day instead.

These days they are both pretty confident test takers. He still hates tests but he knows he can do well on them. His is quite proud of himself. He feels he has the whole world to pick from for his future. That, is a beautiful thing IMO.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
Most of the stress comes with having your scores compared with those of your fellow students

Oh, that's not what I hear people complaining about! When I was in college there were cases of people passing out in the front lobby of the testing center because the very thought of having to come up with answers on a timed basis made them literally weak.

For some people, it's the type of test. Some people can handle bubble sheets but lose their lunch over essay questions. Others are the other way around.

ITA that it's possible to overcome test anxiety. But I still think it's important for everyone who comes to this forum to be told the options of staying away from tests altogether and still getting further education beyond 12th grade, in case that's what works for them and what they want to do.

My major was journalism and I'm very concerned that there not be gatekeepers censoring what information the general public has access to. In order to make intelligent decisions and be informed consumers, we in the general public need to know all our options.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose if they are ok with a high school or associate's degree, the SAT and ACT aren't necessary. Even two-year college courses will involve testing, though.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, but that remark is condescending.

There are many alternative ways to get a post-12th-grade education. Check out the articles in the archives. There are places that will take an application from anyone over 21 and figure out whether what they've done in their life qualifies them for a degree. There are places that allow students to do absolutely everything by correspondence or online, including taking tests at your own pace with a very long deadline or time limit so that if you get anxious (which, BTW, is a physiological condition, not just worrying) you can stop and come back to it after you recover. There are places that "test" by oral interview or portfolio or project or thesis.

And that's only dealing with ways of getting a college degree. There is far more to getting a good education than merely obtaining a degree. Self-taught students and well-read students and apprentices and interns often go far beyond the education that a mere degree indicates.

There is a false belief in our culture that college is the repository of all knowledge and a degree is the be-all and end-all of education. The truth is that getting well-educated requires far more than degrees cover.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did consulting work as a programmer long before I had my college degree, and nobody cared, but even an entry-level programming job requires a bachelor's. I agree with you that a degree has very little intrinsic value, but what really matters is the value other people place on it. A dollar bill may be just a piece of paper, but you can still buy things with it.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a home-schooling mom, my goal for my kids' education is not that they be marketable.

My goal is that they be educated.

Anyone can make money doing anything.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good education is more important than being marketable, but there's no reason why the two should be mutually exclusive. There may be an overemphasis on college degrees these days, but this is the world we live in.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is that they be able to make good decisions in life, be comfortable with themselves, contribute to the world and be able get the job(s) they seek.

I see a good many parents who seem to think a GED is good enough. I don't agree. At least not for my children. I want them to have every opportunity. I don't understand the lowered expectations along these lines at all but that is their and their children's lives.

*shrug*
raptorguy85
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: So when I graduate.. Reply with quote

LasPlagas wrote:
I won't be getting a diploma. Instead to enroll in a college I have to take some of their tests, or a standardized test somewhere and give them the results? Or am I missing something. These are some good things to know since this is going to be my junior year.

I think it would make things easier to take either the ACT or the SAT. Most colleges require you do so. You can get benefits out of taking it as well, as I mentioned in a previous post, I recieved over $40,000 in awards for college since I have been attending (I'm in my senior year of my BBA degree). I got this for a variety of reasons, but part of it had to do with my ACT scores. I never took the SAT. So, I feel you should deffinetly try and see what happens, even if the college doesn't require you to.
twistedmaples
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Union College in NY... Reply with quote

...doesn't require either and they are a 4 year college.

I know there is a growing number (and they even have an acronym which escapes me right now) that do NOT require SAT scores but some of those still do ask for ACT scores.

Beth L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: