Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone familiar with Mosiac Downs??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smonk2325
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Anyone familiar with Mosiac Downs?? Reply with quote

I am home schooling a 13 year old who is diagnosed Mosiac downs. Can anyone give me any insight or guidance in this area??
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My youngest son has Down Syndrome but he is only 17 mos. I plan to HS him just as I have his three older brothers. He will be able to go at his own pace. I will probably consult with various therapists periodically. Other than that, I'm not sure what to expect. I just know that PS is not an option for him...just as it's not an option for my other children.

In the Down Syndrome community, there is a lot of talk about Inclusion and Mainstreaming. It sometimes seems as if HS is taboo. But in our family, Inclusion takes on a whole new perspective...if I'm making sense. Anyway, I know there are plenty of families HSing their children with DS. Well, "plenty" may be overstating a little. I would recommend digging around the Nathhan website.
smonk2325
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

I will check out the website. I understand your feelings about "inclusion". I am a certified teacher, and have spent several years trying to make sence of this all. I understand your frusterations, as do several teachers and admistrators. I think we all know it isen't working for "every" student.

I am taking a year off from PS, and home shcooling three kids. One is 13 and has Downs. I want to do all I can to help him, I just want his and my goals to be achievable. I will check out the site.

Good luck to you and your kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: