home/unschooling uninterested kids

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Glottis
User

Postby Glottis » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:28 pm

burby
User

Postby burby » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:31 am

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:14 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:47 am

I suggest you start up a blog, burby. Give yourself a way to see the big picture. Write every few days about what your ds is up to, and in Sept/Aug, sit down, take a look at what he did over the summer to see how much he truly learned.

We finished school here about a week ago. I told ds (10) he was on his own for the summer, pretty much.

Day 1-3
Watched his hour of tv, played on the computer for an hour, sat on the couch for the rest of the day.

Day 4
Went for a long scooter ride, practiced pitching in the backyard, sat on the couch for the rest of the day.

Day 5
made a bunch of lego toys, read a book, baked cookies, started a string bracelet and is now off with his friends.

He is slowly getting to where he needs to be - self directed for 90% of his work. I don't want him to rely on me to develop his passions. I'll support him, but I don't want to direct the schedule anymore. This summer is hard for me to stand back and watch him be incredibly bored but at the same time, it's the best thing for him.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

burby
User

Postby burby » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 am

Yes i think being bored for a while will be good for him so he will want to be doing something and at the same time he will be learning. I know ive already said this im ny other 2 posts, but im going to homeschool all my four children after the summer hols because i want the whole family to be involved. Im finding it hard to juggle homeschooling around my other children mainstream schooling. we will all have more freedom just to live and learn!! :lol:

austinstrickland
User

Postby austinstrickland » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:27 pm

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”