Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I promised myself, lots to learn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jago25_98
User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: I promised myself, lots to learn Reply with quote

This thread is for a promise I made to my future self as a child. I wanted to blow up all the schools when I was older. Or at least, smash the system in any way I could. Why `enslave innocent people in this way?` I thought.

I made a promise to that kid so I really have to be true to myself and keep the promise in some way. A promise that I would do something. Perhaps I can't blow up all the schools but maybe I can play my part in freedom.

If I ever have children I want the best for them and I haven't heard of or seen a school that comes anywhere close to inspiring and challenging children to such a inspiration that we're firing on all cylinders.

In an ideal world I would have been enjoying university level at 12 years old.

All this is ambitious. I just want to imagine a future where a resemblance of self respect is achieved.

For this I ask myself,

can there be a mix of homeschool and real schooling?

The main thing I got out of school was a tenacity to avoid being bullied - to survive. To survive social ridicule, to survive tests.
Would I want to completely deny these hard lessons from a kid? The only equivalent I can imagine is going into jail. I know if I ever go to jail I at least have some experience with it.

Having said all this I don't feel all of my school experience was bad. I can think of very positive aspects of it; debating in theology class, debating women's lib, playing with explosives in chemistry with a teacher who flew off to America and his rock band, foreign exchange adventures.

Can these social things be emulated with out of school activities? Scouts? Girl guides? Meeting other home schoolers? Paying professors to just chat and run some fun experiments together. What about apprenticeships?

Many things are possible, of which homeschooling can be a part.

Has anyone here heard of the Paskowitz family? A doctor took his family with a campervan completely dropping out. The kids grew up thankfull for their experience but never held a job, never fitting in. But is a job really anything to aspire to? Enlightened kids will need an enlightened income.

Where's the best place to start reading about homeschooling? I mean, a book or something substantial. I'm sure I've lots to learn.
Miniver
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I'm new, too! Our son (now 17) has been homeschooled his entire life, all due to an extremely unpleasant experience with the principal at the elementary school where he would have started as a kindergartner. I read all I could, talked it over with my husband, and decided to go for it! I think anything by Mary Pride is good, and have always gotten a lot out of her magazine, Practical Homeschooling. Also, there's a series of books published by Prima Publishing, such as Homeschoolers' Success Stories, Homeschool Your Child for Free and others. I also love A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola, and Homeschool Open House by Nancy Lande (lets you peek into the day-to-day lives of 55 homeschooling families).

The nasty elementary school principal notwithstanding, our son is almost predisposed to being a homeschooler - he is shy, he had memorized the Periodic Table of Elements at age 6, and he's always really loved being home, so homeschooling was the natural choice for us. I am so thankful we are ABLE to do this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: