Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for high schooler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie7
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for high schooler Reply with quote

We are bringing two teenagers home to homeschool (again after 3yrs of public school) Very Happy I used to homeschool them using unit studies like AWOA. ANWOA. I work full time so my dh will be 'supervising' and he does NOT Exclamation want to do unit studies, in fact he would be happiest with S.O.S. because he isn't confident about his ability to teach them and secure resources, while running our little farm. I am a little reluctant to do the entire school curriculum on SOS. That seems like alot of time on the computer. Any others who have used SOS for high school? The girls will be in 10th and 8th (the 8th grader will need an algebra for math as she's in AP now. Another thought was to do SOS for some, like Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, Spanish, and Teaching Textbooks for math, and have DH teach Bible from his choice of books (He IS confident to teach the Bible studies) Please give advise, I'm nervous.
Besthomeschoolbuys
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOS would be an appealing option to me for your situation, but you should read a lot of SOS reviews before you make a decision. I have found that people either love SOS or hate it. The insight that the reviews give should help you when you compare the needs and preferences of your family.

I have never used SOS so I can't give you advice as one who has used it.
Before SOS was available, we bought the Homequest computer curriculum that was VERY expensive in 1996. I found that it did enable the children to do a lot on their own with out my constant involvement. I needed time to work with my dyslexic son. We only used it for two years because we missed the multi-level learning togetherness like reading aloud and other activities that we had enjoyed in the past with unit studies.

You might also want to look at AOP LifePacs. They are set up to be mostly self taught.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: