Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

experiences with homeschooling and socialization
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellarStory wrote:
So I'm wrong if I don't ask questions and if I do? Also if I google I will "know" your POV?

Okay.

Not necessarily my personal opinions, but homeschoolers' opinions, in general, about socialization in public schools, which was the point at the time, yes.

In one of your ealier posts, you stated: "I do think the whole socialization issue is no more valid in home schooling than it is in Public or Private school. I do think people worry too much about it."

I don't worry about it, but I believe the concerns most homeschooling parents have against socialization in public school are quite valid. Even so, I was willing to explore an opposing opinion, which you seemed to have.

It is not wrong whether you ask me questions or not, I simply noted that you did not. It is not an attack, it is simply a fact. If you had been interested in my opinions, being that I have not really revealed much about them, I believe that you would have asked by now.

What you don't know about me is that I have very few expectations of people. I learned a long time ago that people do not emotionally hurt other people, but what really causes us to be hurt is our own expectations that we place on people, which they often don't even know about, and often on people we do not even know.

With that in mind, I do recognize that you expected something of me, I am not sure what exactly, but it is rather apparent to me that I most definitely did not fulfill that expectation. From the main focus of your posts, I suspect that you expected me to make you feel like you "fit in" and because I did not comply with that expectation you felt hurt even though I did treat you with respect and did not intentionally try to upset you. Even so, I am very sorry that you are upset.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I did ask questions which you chose not to answer.

Your tone implied you couldn't believe the way I felt, nor did you think it was valid.

Additionally there were issues of privilege and unfairness cited.

Many times you indicated that "most" did not see things the same way that I do. I asked how you knew what "most" think. That also was not answered.

The upshot is that you thought my experiences and opinions were wrong. That's what I got out of those extremely pointed questions you asked me.

It was also implied that I couldn't or didn't know my kids.

At this point. I think we will never see eye to eye or truly understand each other, but I certainly tried.

I personally like to wait for people to tell me what they want me to know about them when they want to tell me but as I said at the beginning, I did indeed ask some questions.

They were not answered. Then I was accused of not asking questions. When I pointed out the questions I was told a google search would have revealed the answers. The implication being that my questions were stupid.

You can stop with assuming that I want to "fit in" with you and this is what is causing all the problems. I do like to fit in with people in general. That seems to be quite the "sin" with you two.

I totally disagree, but I'm over it here. If people don't want to understand one another, that's okay. I don't know you and clearly, y'all still don't know me, nor are you likely to ever know me. This situation doesn't look like it's likely to improve.

IMO, we don't have to agree, only treat each other with respect. I have tried to do that. In any case, I wish you both well.
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry that I have been the source of upsetting you. I realize that I tend to ask probing questions when I am trying to understand another's opinion that differs from my own.

I am not going to address every issue because I don't think that will solve anything at this point, but I do want you to know that my remark about the differences in schools definitely was not meant as towards you at all, but an observation of the differences in schools in general, which is one of my arguments against public schools, again, in general. I think it is great that you put so much effort into getting your children in the best school, but I also think it is a terrible shame that there are so many obvious differences in public schools that any one of them is considered so much better than another and that so many other parents don't have that same opportunity.

I have chosen to start another thread to answer those questions you did ask (or defend my own opinions) as I felt a fresh start might do the subject more good. I hope to see you there.

Again, I apologize to you, StellarStory.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for being so gracious.

*hug*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: