Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I start homeschooling? What do I need to do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyjennybee
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: How do I start homeschooling? What do I need to do? Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I will be very new to homeschooling next year. I want to begin getting on the ball. I live in Philadelphia, and I need to know what do I need to do. I mean, do I have to ask permission, register, or just do it? Do I need to be certified? Do they give you the materials or do you make up your own?
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=PA

Here is a link for the requirements for PA...unfortunatley, they are a state with a lot of regulations!

As far as materials, you supply your own when you are homeschooling. There are companies that have prepackaged curriculum by grade level, with everything for every subject. That's what I'm going to be using my first year. I'm using ABeka Book. Their website is https://www.abeka.com/OurFoundation.html.

Other people, piece together their curriculum from various sources. There are tons of sites out there to help you find curriculum.

I would suggest also that you find a local support group and join right away. You can gain valuable insight and support.

This site is a great place for information. Look around, continue to post questions. Everyone is more than willing to help.

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
1to1tutor
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
There are a few steps to follow in order to get started with homeschooling:-

1) Making the Decision to Homeschool: Making the decision to homeschool is usually very difficult and not one to be taken lightly. It is a personal decision that I can't make for you, but maybe I can help you think it through.

2) Understanding Homeschool Laws: It is very important to know and stay within the laws and requirements of your state or region.

3) Choosing a Support Group: Meeting together with other homeschoolers can be helpful, but finding a support group can sometimes be difficult. It often takes patience to find the right match for your family. Generally, support groups offer encouragement and help along the way. They can help with choosing curriculum, record keeping, meeting the state laws, and providing opportunities and activities for your students.

4) Basics to Record Keeping: It is very important to keep good records of your child's homeschool years. Your records can be as simple as a daily journal or as elaborate as a purchased computer program or notebook system.

5) Basics to Homeschool Methods: There are many mothods to homeschool your children. Finding the right method for your family will come in time and it's not uncommon to try a few different methods before throughout your homeschooling years.

Thank you!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: