Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At what age are they ready?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonetocarolina
User

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: At what age are they ready? Reply with quote

My son is 10 months, 3 weeks old, so I am jumping the gun a bit. But I want to know, at what age can I begin teaching him? Do you start with basic things like colors, shapes, letter and number recognition? What other things set a good foundation for home learning?

Thanks.
Janet Tatman
User

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: The best time to start Reply with quote

I think it is great you want to teach your child. With my four children, I found that teaching through play for the first several years is best. A few hours of formal schooling didn't begin until they were 4 or 5. The old board games of CandyLand and Hi Ho Cherrio were some of my children's favorite color and counting games. We also spent alot of time on nature walks which generated their natural curiousity about the things around them.

As young as your child is now, I would possibly begin with colorful and educational type toys to stimulate his senses. Large legos and shape recognition toys would also be helpful.

Most of all, shut the TV off and read to your child as much as possible. Your local library is a great place to start. Let your child enjoy music and sound learning toys as well.
birdy
User

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a little early, but you can also start with games to help develop the fine motor skills. At 10 months and after, they will be working on the "pincer" grasp (index finger to thumb).

So games like, "put-in." For example, put Cheerios in the egg carton.

Or put folded sock balls into the laundry basket. The idea is to come up with a size that your toddler can grasp and have them do it.

Later on, when the child is older (1 1/2 and up) you can modify this even further. Have a pretend bank, (aka, 2 or 3 cup yogurt container with slot cut in the lid, and button coins) and have fun putting the buttons into the bank. You could also sort things like buttons into egg cartons. Working on sorting and noticing differences in shape and colour. Of course, it goes without say to have supervision! Trips to the emerg department, while educational, are best not as the result of your teaching attempts!

At 10 months, you should also work on object permanence. Which is, can your child remember where an object is if you: hide it under a blanket, or in a cupboard. Can they do this if you show them, remove them from the room and then bring them back.

You can also work on their ability to lean forward and reach for objects just beyond their grasp. That is, if they can sit up already. At 10 months my son was walking, much to our chagrin.

Right now, focus on the physical stuff! It can be so much fun! You can also teach them simple signs right now. Often at this stage a childs ability to understand words is growing by leaps and bounds, but they are left with the words, "ma-ma, mo, etc." It will be easier for you if you teach a few signs (more, please, thank you, drink, food, sleep) now. It really is simple. First, learn a simple version of the sign. Then, when you say the word to your child show the sign. Help them do the sign if they are willing. I did this with both of our children, a friend did it will all nine of hers. This will help you a lot when the child is a toddler!

Roberta
hbmom36
User

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repetition. Make it fun and interesting. Read fun books about numbers, shapes, colors, letters, etc. Don't make it too stressful, or worry that he isn't "getting it" when you have shown him the color red 50 times and he still calls it blue. You want to show him that learning is fun. They are never too young to start learning, but do it in a way that makes it enjoyable for the two of you.
Aspie
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're teaching children very early on whether formal or informal. Infants learn to talk by 'parroting' their parent(s)/guardian(s)
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note. Keep on the child's level. Don't worry about colors until they can say some words and make some noises. Don't jumo the gun, take things one step at a time, if you skip steps, it will mess them up in the future. Don't push, just let them be who they are, and play at their level.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
hbmom36
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning should not be too stressful at this age, or they will learn to hate it.
Papillon Mom
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fellow 'Jumpin' the Gun-er',
My daughter, Bo is 14 months old and I can't wait to cut our teeth on some serious homeschoolin'. For the time being we read, play with magnet alphabet letters, color bears, and sing songs. We live on a mini-ranch so we play with animals and do lots of chores. We also work a lot with signing. This has been such a gift for us. She tends to be quiet and reserved so signing as helped her to reach out. We started about two months ago and she already knows so many. I really wish we had started sooner. Our favorite times and a super productive learning time of the day are her baths. She takes two really long baths in our kitchen sink everyday. We talk about colors, letters, numbers, animals, she plays in the water, eats...
Recently we have started working on sitting on a blanket until a timer goes off.
We don't do any formal learning yet. We just play... but its directed play.
Take Care and I'd love to hear any ideas you have for more learning opportunities.
Amanda and Bo
mdsmomct
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best advice is read, read, and read some more. My son is only 2 and knows all his colors, shapes, can count to 100+ and knows his letters backwards and forwards. Almost all from just reading his favorite books over and over. He is now starting to read them to himself.

Make it fun and keep their love of learning growing daily! Plus everyone keeps telling me enjoy this time before "formal" homeschooling starts because it goes by fast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: