sleep, baby, sleep!!!

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Sandy
User

sleep, baby, sleep!!!

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:16 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:04 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:27 am

AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Ramona
User

Re: sleep, baby, sleep!!!

Postby Ramona » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:20 pm

When my kids are completely wiped out they start running on pure adrenaline and then they can't calm down, rest, or sleep. I need to be sure to go through our regular bedtime routine before they get to that wiped-out stage.

We have always used a 30-minute routine at night. If I want them to be in their beds with lights off and doors closed from 8:00 on, then at 7:30 we all cease all other activities. I tell everyone that it's time to put the toys away and we all work together to straighten up the whole house. Once everything is tidy, I tell them it's time to put on pajamas. When all are dressed for bed I have them brush their teeth. Then we have stories followed by prayers and tucking in. A parent gives each child a hug and kiss while the child is lying in bed, then turns the light off and shuts the door.

When the oldest ones were tiny babies it was more like put on pajamas, give one last feeding while rocking and singing lullabies in a dimly-lit room, and then lay the child in bed for tucking in.

I have generally found that it's worth it to me to sacrifice that half hour of my time every night so that it only lasts 30 minutes. If I have to go out, I leave detailed instructions for the sitter to follow the same routine.

At naptime I find there is much greater cooperation from children under about 6 if I tell them they have 5 minutes to play and then it will be time to lie down in bed with eyes and mouth closed until I say they may get up. During those 5 minutes I let them know how much time is left each minute, counting down 4-3-2-1-30 seconds.

Ramona

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:32 pm

It is good to have a regular bedtime routine. When the kids were young, we did that too. After the bedtime routine they were allowed to play quietly or if they were old enough, read until they fell asleep.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”